38-Year-Old Woman With Increasing Fatigue and Dyspnea
- She cannot exercise as she used to. Pennachio, Dorothy L.; Leslie, Maryann; Willett, Dean // Patient Care for the Nurse Practitioner;Aug2001, Vol. 4 Issue 8, p45
Presents a medical case of a woman who is unable to complete her exercise with ease and suffers from palpitations, fatigue, dyspnea and an episode of chest heaviness. Factors that led to the diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia; Diagnostic possibilities in the case.
- Low iron, mild anemia seen in adolescent gastric bypass patients. // Endocrine Today;Jun2014, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p18
The article focuses on a study by Stavra A. Xanthakos which revealed that low iron stores and mild anemia were diagnosed in adolescent patients five years after they underwent Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Comparative Review of the Safety and Efficacy of Ferric Carboxymaltose Versus Standard Medical Care for the Treatment of Iron Deficiency Anemia in Bariatric and Gastric Surgery Patients. Malone, Margaret; Barish, Charles; He, Andy; Bregman, David // Obesity Surgery;Sep2013, Vol. 23 Issue 9, p1413
Background: Iron deficiency anemia (IDA) is a common finding in patients after bariatric surgery. The cause is multifactorial including reduced oral iron intake and malabsorption. While many patients can be managed with oral supplements, parenteral iron may be needed to restore and maintain iron...
- The HEALTHY MIX. // Dolly;Jul2011, Issue 487, p104
The article offers health information particularly for women. A quiz aimed at identifying foods that one should eat during breakfast depending on certain situations is presented. Some recommendations to feel happy include using things with bright colors, eliminating the feeling of guilt and...
- An unusual cause of iron deficiency anemia in a healthy man: Hijamah. Akdoğan, Remzi Adnan; Akdoğan, Elif // Turkish Journal of Hematology;Sep2011, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p254
A letter to the editor is presented which is concerned with a 50 year old man who developed an unusual case of iron deficiency anemia as a result of hijamah.
- The Dangers of Self Medication. Boyd, Cameron // Canadian Aviator;Sep/Oct2012, p16
The article discusses the case of a 42-year-old CC-130 Hercules pilot who suffered from severe iron deficiency anemia due to gradual blood loss. The symptoms experienced by the pilot include stomach pains, headache, difficulty in sleeping and tiredness. He adjusted his diet to prevent certain...
- An Unusual Case of an Abdominal Mass in a 3 Year Old. Antony, Charlene; DeGroote, Michael G.; Latchman, Andrew; Walton, Mark // University of Toronto Medical Journal;May2012, Vol. 89 Issue 3, p140
An abdominal mass in a young child is a significant concern that requires urgent assessment. The differential diagnosis is often initially focused on malignancies including Wilm's tumor, hepatoblastoma, neuroblastoma, and lymphoma. We present an unusual case of an abdominal mass in a 3 year old...
- Qualitative and quantitative validation of the FACIT-fatigue scale in iron deficiency anemia. Acaster, Sarah; Dickerhoof, Rene; DeBusk, Kendra; Bernard, Kristine; Strauss, William; Allen, Lee F. // Health & Quality of Life Outcomes;2015, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1
Background: Fatigue is a burdensome symptom in iron deficiency anemia (IDA). To capture the severity and impact of fatigue appropriately it must be measured using validated scales. This study evaluated the content validity and psychometric validity of the Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness...
- Extracorporeal life support for a 5-week-old infant with idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis. Gutierrez, Sherrill; Shaw, Susanna; Huseni, Shehlanoor; Sachdeva, Shagun; Costello, John; Basu, Sonali; Nath, Dilip; Klugman, Darren // European Journal of Pediatrics;Dec2014, Vol. 173 Issue 12, p1573
Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis is a rare disease defined by the triad of iron deficiency anemia, hemoptysis, and diffuse pulmonary infiltrates on chest radiograph. Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis is known to cause dyspnea and, in some cases, acute onset of massive pulmonary hemorrhage...