77-Year-Old Woman With Back Pain and Shortness of Breath
- Population-Based Incidence and Characteristics of Community-Onset Staphylococcus aureus Infections with Bacteremia in 4 Metropolitan Connecticut Areas, 1998. Morin, Craig A.; Hadler, James L. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;10/15/2001, Vol. 184 Issue 8, p1029
This study retrospectively analyzed the magnitude and epidemiology of community-onset Staphylococcus aureus (COSA) infections and methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) infections in 4 Connecticut metropolitan areas (population, 1.1 million). The study looked at hospital medical records of...
- Reply to Nannini and Arias. Tseng, Wen-Pin; Chiang, Wen-Chu; Fu, Chia-Ming; Chen, Shey-Ying // Clinical Infectious Diseases;Jun2013, Vol. 56 Issue 11, p1679
A response from the authors of an article related to Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in the previous issue of the journal is presented.
- Pathogenic Significance of Methicillin Resistance for Patients with Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia. Soriano, A.; Martinez, J.A.; Mensa, J.; Marco, F.; Almela, A.; Moreno-Martinez, A.; Sanchez, F.; Munoz, I.; de Anta, M.T. Jimenez; Soriano, E. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;2/1/2000, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p368
Attempts to determine whether methicillin resistance is a microbial characteristic associated with deleterious clinical outcome. Cohort study on episodes of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia; Microbiological methods; Relationship of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with clinical...
- Short-Course Therapy of Catheter-related Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia: A Meta-analysis. Jernigan, John A.; Farr, Barry M. // Annals of Internal Medicine;8/15/93, Vol. 119 Issue 4, p304
Presents information on a study that examined the effectiveness of short-course antibiotic therapy for catheter-related Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia through structured methodologic review of published articles. Nature and timing of late complications after short-course therapy; Clinical...
- Vancomycin-Intermediate Staphylococcus aureus with Phenotypic Susceptibility to Methicillin in a Patient with Recurrent Bacteremia. Naimi, Timothy S.; Anderson, Daniel; O'Boyle, Carol; Boxrud, David J.; Johnson, Susan J.; Tenover, Fred C.; Lynfield, Ruth // Clinical Infectious Diseases;6/15/2003, Vol. 36 Issue 12, p1609
Vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus (VISA) are an emerging problem. We observed a statistically significant inverse relationship in the MICs of vancomycin and oxacillin in S. aureus isolates from a patient undergoing hemodialysis who received 26 weeks of treatment with vancomycin...
- Occult Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia: Other Points to Consider. Nannini, Esteban C.; Arias, Cesar A. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;Jun2013, Vol. 56 Issue 11, p1679
A letter to the editor is presented in response to an article related to the comparison of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia with patients admitted in hospitals by Chia-Ming Fu et al in the previous issue of the journal.
- Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia: Predictors of 30-Day Mortality in a Large Cohort. Mylotte, Joseph M.; Tayara, Ammar // Clinical Infectious Diseases;11/1/2000, Vol. 31 Issue 5, p1170
Presents a study on a large cohort of patients with staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Information on SAB; Risk factors for mortality among patients with SAB; Reason for the difference in the findings regarding predictors of mortality related to SAB in various studies.
- Audit of treatment of Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia. Wong, V.; Wariyar, R.; Weston, V.; Youngs, E.; Hussain, A.; Perera, N.; Swann, A.; Olver, W. J. // Clinical Medicine;Jun2010, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p266
Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia remains a significant cause of morbidity and mortality. National guidelines recommend that a minimum of 14 days of antibiotics should be used to treat uncomplicated bacteraemia. Five hospitals in the East Midlands region conducted a retrospective audit to assess...
- Comparison of Mortality Associated with Methicillin-Resistant and Methicillin-Susceptible Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia: A Meta-analysis. Cosgrove, Sara E.; Sakoulas, George; Perencevich, Eli N.; Schwaber, Mitchell J.; Karchmer, Adolf W.; Carmeli, Yehuda // Clinical Infectious Diseases;1/1/2003, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p53
A meta-analysis was performed to summarize the impact of methicillin-resistance on mortality in Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. A search of the MEDLINE database for studies published during the period of 1 January 1980 through 31 December 2000 and a bibliographic review identified...