Spontaneous bilateral fracture of the proximal humerus: an unusual presentation of multiple myeloma
- Targeting the bone microenvironment in multiple myeloma. Roodman, G. David // Journal of Bone & Mineral Metabolism;May2010, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p244
Multiple myeloma (MM) is a plasma cell malignancy characterized by the frequent development of osteolytic lesions, osteopenia, pathological fractures, and/or severe bone pain. In the past few years several potential factors involved in this process have been identified and, with the increased...
- Functional outcomes of kyphoplasty for the treatment of osteoporotic and osteolytic vertebral compression fractures. Khanna, A.; Reinhardt, Mary; Togawa, Daisuke; Lieberman, Isador // Osteoporosis International;Jun2006, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p817
Introduction: Vertebral body compression fractures secondary to osteoporosis or malignant osteolysis are an increasingly common problem. The primary purpose of our study was to assess functional outcomes of kyphoplasty for the treatment of osteoporotic and osteolytic vertebral compression...
- Multiple Myeloma with a Pathologic Fracture During Pregnancy. Forthman, Christopher L.; Ponce, Brent A.; Mankin, Henry J. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Jun2004, Vol. 86-A Issue 6, p1284
Presents a case report of multiple myeloma with a pathologic fracture during pregnancy in the U.S. Production of lytic bone lesions throughout the skeleton as the result of a monoclonal proliferation of plasma cells that invade the medullary space and activate osteoclasts; Consideration of bone...
- Functional results of braced humeral diaphyseal fractures; why do 38% lose external rotation of the shoulder? Fjalestad, Tore; Strømsøe, Knut; Salvesen, Petter; Rostad, Bjørg // Archives of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery;May2000, Vol. 120 Issue 5/6, p281
A total of 67 humeral diaphyseal fractures treated with functional bracing was studied. The median follow-up was 30 weeks. Sixty-one fractures (91%) healed and 6 fractures (8.9%) progressed to non-unions. Fifty-four fractures could be functionally classified according to a modified Wasmer score....
- Maintenance lenalidomide prolonged PFS in transplant-ineligible multiple myeloma. // Hem/Onc Today;6/10/2012, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p22
The article reports on a study which found that multiple myeloma patients who are ineligible for stem cell transplants, have a longer progression-free survival rate when placed on maintenance therapy with lenalidomide.
- Reduced CXCR4 expression is associated with extramedullary disease in a mouse model of myeloma and predicts poor survival in multiple myeloma patients treated with bortezomib. Stessman, H A F; Mansoor, A; Zhan, F; Janz, S; Linden, M A; Baughn, L B; Van Ness, B // Leukemia (08876924);Oct2013, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p2075
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article related to aspects of mouse model of myeloma and treatment of multiple myeloma patients in the May 31, 2013 issue.
- Treatment of MM-associated spinal fracture with percutaneous vertebroplasty (PVP) and chemotherapy. Yang, Zuozhang; Tan, Jing; Xu, Yongqing; Sun, Hongpu; Xie, Lin; Zhao, Ruilian; Wang, Jiaping; Jiang, Hua // European Spine Journal;May2012, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p912
Purpose: To investigate the effect of treatment of multiple myeloma (MM)-associated spinal fracture with percutaneous vertebroplasty (PVP) and chemotherapy. Methods: Patients with MM-associated spinal fracture were randomly divided into combined (PVP and chemotherapy) treatment group ( n = 38)...
- Refractures in Patients at Least Forty-five Years Old. Robinson, C.M.; Royds, M.; Abraham, A.; Mcqueen, M.M.; Court-brown, C.M.; Christie, J. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Sep2002, Vol. 84 Issue 9, p1528
Background: Individuals who sustain a low-energy fracture are at increased risk of sustaining a subsequent low-energy fracture. The incidence of these refractures may be reduced by secondary preventative measures, although justifying such interventions and evaluating their impact is difficult...
- Fracture is not the end of the osteoporosis story. // Geriatrics;Dec2000, Vol. 55 Issue 12, p65
Provides some clinical advice about fracture. Factors to keep in mind about fracture; Effect of alendronate to fracture incidence.