Atraumatic fracture of proximal first phalanx
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers More Common in Rural Areas. // O&P Almanac;Nov2015, Vol. 64 Issue 11, p15
The article discusses the findings of the the University of Arizona department of surgery's Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance which shows the higher prevalence of death due to diabetic foot ulcers and amputation in people with Type 2 diabetes who live in rural areas.
- Just one in five recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes have it under control. // Podiatry Review;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 71 Issue 5, p34
No abstract available.
- APWCA Case Study #2: Application of End-Diastolic Pneumatic Compression Therapy with the Circulator Boot. Filip, John // Podiatry Management;Nov/Dec2007, Vol. 26 Issue 9, p149
The article describes the case of a 73-year old Caucasian female who presented with multiple bilateral diabetic lower leg wounds. She was diagnosed with several peripheral vascular diseases, type-2 diabetes with non-ketotic hyperosmolar coma, and non-healing bilateral lower extremity diabetic...
- Older Subjects With Diabetes and Prediabetes Are Frequently Unaware of Having Distal Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy. BONGAERTS, BRENDA W. C.; RATHMANN, WOLFGANG; HEIER, MARGIT; KOWALL, BERND; HERDER, CHRISTIAN; STÖCKL, DORIS; MEISINGER, CHRISTA; ZIEGLER, DAN // Diabetes Care;May2013, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p1141
OBJECTIVE--Distal sensorimotor polyneuropathy (DSPN) is a severe complication of type 2 diabetes. This study aimed to assess the prevalence of unawareness of DSPN in prediabetes and diabetes in a sample of the older population of Augsburg, Germany. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS--Glucose tolerance...
- Prolonged Use of Ertapenem to Treat Infected Diabetic Foot Ulcers. Algudkar, Ashwin; Ellis, Gidon; Ahmad, Fareeduddin; Tindall, Hilary // Case Reports in Medicine;2010, p1
We present the case of a diabetic man who was successfully treated with ertapenem for over 4 months for severe infection of his foot ulcers. After initial unsuccessful treatment with empirical intravenous antibiotics, ertapenem was started on microbiology advice and led to a marked improvement...
- Medical News. // Podiatry Now;Aug2011, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p17
The article reports studies which show that single photon emission computed tomography and computed tomography (SPECT/CT) offers an effective screening method for type 2 diabetes patients with foot infections, and that a low-calorie diet could help cure type 2 diabetes.
- Experts: Testosterone 'best indicator' of men's health. Overmyer, Mac // Urology Times;Aug2012, Vol. 40 Issue 9, p28
Information about several topics discussed during an expert panel at the annual meeting of the American Urological Association (AUA) in Atlanta, Georgia is presented. The panel focused on the health consequences of hypogonadism among men. The panel of experts are highlighted which include...
- The use of herbal medicine in diabetic foot complications: A case report from a Saudi Arabian Bedouin. Malone, M; Al Gannass, A // Wound Practice & Research;Mar2012, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p46
The flora of plant life within Saudi Arabia has one of the richest biodiversity systems in the Arabian Peninsula and encompasses a mass of important medicinal herbs, shrubs and plants. According to Al-Yahya!, the Arabian Peninsula is the birthplace of herbal drugs and the use of folk medicine...
- Amputations reduced by over 50% with diligent foot care! // Nurse Aide-VIP;Apr2013, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p11
The article reports on the findings of a study by the University of Gothenburg which suggest that proper foot care for older patients with type-2 diabetes can reduce the possibility of amputation occurrence to half.