Sleep disorders presenting as common pediatric problems
- NIGHTWALKERS: VICTIMS OF A HIDDEN EPIDEMIC. Yoakum, Robert H. // Saturday Evening Post;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 270 Issue 6, p38
Discusses the nature of the restless legs syndrome (RLS), a type of sleep disorder. Indications on whether a person has the disease; Related disease of RLS; Conclusion of a report by the National Center on Sleep Disorders Research. INSET: Medications for RLS relief.
- Farewell to Fidgety Nights. Aschwanden, Christie; Cederborg, Laurie // Health (Time Inc. Health);Oct99, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p28
Presents information on the condition known as restless legs syndrome (RLS). Treatment for the condition; Effectiveness of the Mirapex drug in treating RLS.
- 3. Restless legs and periodic limb movement. // GP: General Practitioner;11/4/2002, p72
Focuses on restless legs syndrome (RLS) and periodic limb movement in sleep (PLMS) as intrinsic sleep disorders. Difficulty in describing the symptoms of RLS; Trigger factor for RLS; Treatment of PLMS.
- RESTLESS LEGS, PERIODIC LIMB MOVEMENTS AND BREATHING PROBLEMS. // Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry;Aug2011, Vol. 82 Issue 8, p1
An abstract of the article "Restless Legs, Periodic Limb Movements and Breathing Problems," by Adrian Williams is presented.
- WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME. Woidtke, Robyn // Sleep Review;Sep2014, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p20
The article offers information on restless legs syndrome (RLS), also known as Willis-Ekbom disease (WED), a sensorimotor neurological disorder. Topics discussed include the estimated prevalence of patients reporting significant symptoms requiring pharmaceutical therapy, the revision made by the...
- RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME AND OBESITY IN HUNGARIAN YOUNG ADULT MEN. Buda, Botond L.; Tóth, Gábor A. // Papers on Anthropology;2008, Vol. 17, p38
Quantitative and qualitative inadequacy of sleep is a major risk factor for obesity. Sleep deprivation has been hypothesized to contribute toward obesity by decreasing leptin, increasing ghrelin, and compromising insulin sensitivity. Apart from shorter sleep duration, fragmented sleep, too,...
- SWEET Dreams. Meyer, Brenda // Lake Country Journal;Sep/Oct2010, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p46
The article offers information on the most common sleep disorders. Insomnia is the resuld from a stressful event of change in sleeping habit. Obstructive sleep apnea would occur when the airway narrows or collapses during sleep, which would restrict or prevent breathing. Restless legs syndrome...
- Treating Sleep Disorders: There is Still More to Do. Neubauer, David N. // Primary Psychiatry;Feb2009, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p22
The past decade has been an exciting time in the field of sleep medicine. There has been greater attention to sleep in the popular media and much more published literature focusing on sleep disorders. For example, Primary Psychiatry has had several past issues highlighting sleep disorders and...
- Poster 1 Insomnie/Motorik & RLS. // Somnologie;Oct2005 Supplement, Vol. 9, p39
The article presents abstracts of studies on insomnia. They include "Increased Nocturnal Activity Associated With Adverse Childhood Experiences in Patients With Primary Insomnia," "The Restless Legs Syndrome Diagnostic Index (RLS-DI): Validation of an Algorithm for the Diagnosis of the Restless...