A Multitude of Perspective on The Latest 'Great Debate' in Education
Tags: EDUCATION; GREAT School Debate, The (Book); SCHOOLS We Deserve, The (Book); CHALLENGE to American Schools: The Case for Standards & Values (Book); EDUCATION on Trial (Book); GROSS, Beatrice; GROSS, Ronald; RAVITCH, Diane, 1938-
- PUBLIC MESS, PRIVATE FUNCTION. Brooks, David // National Review;6/14/1985, Vol. 37 Issue 11, p42
Reviews the book "Challenge to American Schools: The Case for Standards and Values," edited by John H. Bunzel.
- The Challenge to American Schools (Book). Hopkinson, Shirley L.; Fletcher, Janet; Fialkoff, Francine; Schwarzer, Anneliese; Sutton, Judith; Cameron, Janet // Library Journal;3/1/1985, Vol. 110 Issue 4, p87
Reviews the book 'The Challenge to American Schools: The Case for Standards and Values,' edited and introduced by John H. Bunzel.
- The Schools We Deserve (Book). Hopkinson, Shirley L.; Fletcher, Janet; Fialkoff, Francine; Schwarzer, Anneliese; Sutton, Judith; Cameron, Janet // Library Journal;5/1/1985, Vol. 110 Issue 8, p59
Reviews the book 'The Schools We Deserve: Reflections on the Educational Crisis of Our Times,' by Diane Ravitch.
- A Culture War in the Schools. Welch, Aimee // Insight on the News;11/27/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 44, p24
Reveals the harm brought by progressive educational methods on the public school system in the United States, according to education historian, Diane Ravitch. Information on her book `Left Back: A Century of Failed School Reforms'; General consensus among educators of the 19th century about the...
- Lieutenants to Learning. Robinson, James A. // Journal of Higher Education;May/Jun1988, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p327
The article presents a list of books related to participant-observation by university presidents. Some of the books are "American Education," by James R. Angell, "Purely Academic," by Stringfellow Barr, "Things Learned by Living," by John Bascom, "Investment in Learning: The Individual and...
- New Group to Take Aim at Ed. Reform Trends. MCNEIL, MICHELE // Education Week;3/13/2013, Vol. 32 Issue 24, p4
The article discusses the creation of the U.S. educational advocacy group called the Network for Public Education by education historian Diane Ravitch to support U.S. political candidates who oppose the privatization of public education, massive school closures, and high-stakes educational tests.
- What Would Diane Ravitch Say? Burns, Melinda // Miller-McCune;Sep/Oct2011, Vol. 4 Issue 5, p45
The article presents the author's insight on the statement of former Assistant U.S. Secretary of Education Diane Ravitch regarding the educational system in the U.S., in which she states that standardized testing is part of the problem of American education.
- New In Print. Winston, Pamela // Education Week;5/15/1985, Vol. 4 Issue 34, p17
The article presents a list of new printed books including "Challenge to American Schools: The Case for Standards and Values," edited by John H. Bunzel, "Keeping Track: How Schools Structure Inequality," by Jeannie Oakes, "The Private Sector in the Public School: Can It Improve Education?"...
- All kids must learn the basics. Jensen, Erik M. // Crain's Cleveland Business;11/06/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 46, p12
Comments on the speech of Diane Ravitch, the pre-eminent American historian of education, at Case Western Reserve University and the City Club in Cleveland, Ohio. Basic academic education needed by kids to meet the obligations of citizenship; Controversy over whether kids should be required to...