Getting an act together
- Unequal Rights (Book Review). // Issues in Law & Medicine;Spring2001, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p303
Reviews the book 'Unequal Rights: Discrimination Against People With Mental Disabilities and the Americans With Disabilities,' by Susan Stefan.
- When Is Separate Unequal? A Disability Perspective. Spina, Carli // International Journal of Legal Information;Winter2010, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p413
The article reviews the book "When Is Separate Unequal? A Disability Perspective," by Ruth Colker.
- Disability as a Social Construct: Legislative Roots. Gardner, James F. // Journal of American History;Mar1990, Vol. 76 Issue 4, p1238
Reviews the book "Disability As a Social Construct: Legislative Roots" by Claire H. Liachowitz.
- Calling on America. // Education & Treatment of Children (ETC);Nov91, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p375
Focuses on the Calling on America campaign to stop discrimination against people with disabilities. Features of the campaign; Recommended actions for people wishing to join the campaign; Contact information.
- Disability rights shake-up. // People Management;3/19/1998, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p13
Reports that the British National Disability Council will be responsible for advising the government on all aspects of discrimination.
- The impact of disability. Exten-Wright, Jonathan; Matthewsa, Paul // Cabinet Maker;1/5/2007, Issue 5519, p15
The article offers instructions to employers in Great Britain on how to avoid being made liable for discrimination against a disabled employee which can lead to unlimited awards of compensation. INSET: Liability matters.
- Access for the disabled in the surgery. Barran, Paul // GP: General Practitioner;3/18/2002, p40
Discusses provisions in the Disability Discrimination Act related to discrimination of disabled people in Great Britain. Aim of the act to provide good customer care service; Year in which the act was introduced; Groups of people covered under the act; Need for disability training of staff...
- Complaints filed against NYC theaters. // ASHA;Jan94, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p11
Reveals that the Disability Law Center of New York Lawyers for the Public Interest has filed complaints with the United States Department of Justice against 34 movie theaters and off-Broadway theaters in New York that do not allow persons with hearing loss to enjoy their productions. Campaign...
- Bashing the disabled. Wolfe, Kathi // Progressive;Nov95, Vol. 59 Issue 11, p24
Focuses on the persistence of discrimination against disabled persons in the United States. Discrimination as a form of hate crime; Nature of hate crimes against disabled; Other policies detrimental to the plight of disabled persons; Call for the organization of the disabled community. INSET:...