- `Just' a religion. Sadowski, Yahya // Brookings Review;Summer96, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p34
Focuses on the totalitarian essence of Islam. Ideals and beliefs; Prominent Muslims; Controversies among Muslims; Fundamentalist movements; Political concerns.
- Premodern, antimodern or postmodern? Islamic and Western critiques of modernity. Euben, Roxanne L. // Review of Politics;Summer97, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p429
Examines two comparisons in exploring the relationship of Islamist political thought to modernity. Description of the two comparisons; What the comparisons suggests.
- The rise of radical Islam. Hubbell, Stephen // Scholastic Update;10/22/93, Vol. 126 Issue 4, p8
Discusses the attack of Islamic militants against Middle East governments. Threat to regional stability; Islamists' desire to replace Egypt's secular government with one based on the Koran's religion; War between Islamists and the Algerian government; Origins of militant movement; Islamists'...
- A sober survey of the Islamic world. Lapidus, Ira M. // Orbis;Summer96, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p391
Discusses various aspects of the Islamic world and politics. Revival of the Islamists; Issues concerning Islamist movements; Political objectives; Success and failures; Islamist radical politics.
- Revolutionary Islam in North Africa: Challenges and responses. El-Khawas, Mohamed A. // Africa Today;Oct-Dec96, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p385
Examines the resurgence of Islam in North Africa particularly in Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt being used as a platform for political empowerment and rallying point to mobilize the masses against the government. Anwar Sadat's use of Islam to legitimize his leadership; Social and economic problems...
- Beware of religious stalinists. Zuckerman, Mortimer B. // U.S. News & World Report;3/22/93, Vol. 114 Issue 11, p80
Editorial. Discusses why the United States has failed to understand the malign power of Muslim fundamentalism. The World Trade Center bombing; How to deal with the long war between the West and radical Islam; The murder of Palestinians by Hamas in the West Bank; Islam's militant strain on the...
- The power of Islam. Sick, Gary // Across the Board;Oct93, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p50
Presents a discussion of the development of the Islamic movement, adapted from an original article from `Global Business White Papers'. Response to local conditions; Diversity of Islamic groups; Period of political turmoil in countries with Muslim majority; Ambiguity of the West in issue of...
- Secularist radicalism. Power, Carla // Bulletin with Newsweek;07/15/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6080, p68
Discusses the politics in Muslim-majority Middle Eastern countries as of July 1997. Why the Egyptian's judge eliminating a ban on female genital mutilation was considered a win for Islamists; Turkey's military forcing Prime minister Necmettin Erbakan to step down; Battles between the Islamic...
- Why an Islamic Government in Egypt Might Not Be So Terrible. Beeman, William O. // Muslim Observer;2/4/2011, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p7
The author discusses the benefits of having an Islamic government in Egypt.