- Deck smarts. Pike, Bill // Boating;Nov94, Vol. 67 Issue 11, p28
Shares information on skills that a boat's crew should have, from Manley Fulcher, a foreman of able-bodied seamen on the tug Sarah Hayes. Use of a towboat hitch instead of a clove hitch for tying on a piling; How to get the end of a line ashore when docking; How to surge a line on a cleat, bitt...
- Straight arrow. Pike, Bill // Boating;Jan1995, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p26
Recounts the author's experience as a pilot on a freighter in Lake Michigan when he found the ship two miles off course. How the ship was being set by a current that was almost exclusive to Wind Point on the lake's Wisconsin side; The short cut he learned to deal with sets without using vector...
- Captain's test. Reininger, S.; Ruderman, Pamela // Boating;Jan1995, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p34
Presents a boating problem involving a large sailboat which suddenly tacks in front of your cruiser, threatening a collision. Suggested actions; The correct action to take.
- Sense of direction. Reininger, Stuart // Boating;Jun98, Vol. 71 Issue 6, p120
Presents a quiz which tests a person's seamanship and navigational skill.
- Contingency Seamanship (Book). Schwartz, Jay // Library Journal;3/1/1981, Vol. 106 Issue 5, p572
Reviews the book 'Contingency Seamanship: Coping With the Unexpected in Harbor and at Sea,' by John Clemens.
- The Book of Seamanship (Book Review). Rowland, Donald C. // Library Journal;5/15/1980, Vol. 105 Issue 10, p1181
Reviews the book 'The Book of Seamanship,' by John Russell.
- CHAPMAN PILOTING & SEAMANSHIP 64TH EDITION: The Boating World's Most Respected Reference, Completely Updated & Revised (Book). Gold, Sarah F.; Chenoweth, Emily; Rotella, Mark; Andriani, Lynn; Valdes, Marcela; Zaleski, Jeff // Publishers Weekly;8/4/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 31, p69
Reviews the non-fiction book 'Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 64th Edition: The Boating World's Most Respected Reference, Completely Updated & Revised,' by Elbert Maloney.
- Multihull Seamanship (Book Review). Tazelaar, James // Library Journal;6/15/1976, Vol. 101 Issue 12, p1442
Reviews the book 'Multihull Seamanship,' by Michael McMullen.
- Seamanship Techniques. // Ausmarine;Mar2006, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p33
Reviews the book "Seamanship Techniques: Shipboard and Marine Operations," by D. J. House.