Mirth in the Mill (Book)
- 'OUR RIGHTS CANNOT BE TRAMPLED UPON'. // Cobblestone;Mar2001, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p31
Focuses on the involvement of mill girls in strikes and demand for labor reforms in Lowell, Massachusetts.
- Manningham Mills, Bradford. Briggs, Asa // History Today;Oct89, Vol. 39 Issue 10, p62
Traces the history of Manningham Mills in Bradford, built in 1871. Role of owner Samuel Cunliffe Lister; Strikes on the late 1800s; Current plans to restore the mills.
- Prose to the grindstone. Arthur, Eric // Books in Canada;Dec76, Vol. 5 Issue 12, p20
Reviews the book `The Mill,' by William Fox, William Brooks, Janice Tynvhitt and Helen Fox.
- 'Cash for his turnups': Agricultural Production for Local Markets in Colonial Pennsylvania,.... Kennedy, Michael V. // Agricultural History;Summer2000, Vol. 74 Issue 3, p587
Chronicles business developments of the agricultural industry and workers from 1725 to 1783 in Pennsylvania. Study of early Southeastern Pennsylvania geography; Types of mills established; Different merchandise sold to the state commercial market; Role of women in the production and marketing...
- Wet corn milling tops pay in expanded grain mills survey. // Monthly Labor Review;Apr79, Vol. 102 Issue 4, p57
Reports on the finding that production workers, as a group, were highest paid in wet corn mills in the United States according to a 1977 survey by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Variation in wage levels within the industry by certain establishment characteristics and by occupation;...
- Millwork industry shows slow growth in productivity. Veigle, Jack; Brand, Horst // Monthly Labor Review;Sep82, Vol. 108 Issue 9, p21
Analyzes the labor productivity in the millwork industry in the U.S. Output and demand; Growth in employment; Technological developments; Patterns of capital spending growth.
- Landmark labor agreement empowers mill employees to bring their brains to work. Lowe, Mick // Northern Ontario Business;Mar94, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p1
Reports on United Paperworkers International union Local 665's innovative training program in mill work. K-C bleached kraft pulp mill as the location for the training program; Multi-tasking of traditional trades and jurisdictional lines; Increase of productivity in the workplace.
- Work assignments in high-tech mill -- A case study. Shanmuganandan, D.; Ravichandran, N. // Indian Textile Journal;Jul2004, Vol. 114 Issue 10, p13
This article discusses the optimisation of labour employment in a 100% Export Oriented Unit based on a detailed study conducted at the mill. Work assignment is the number of machine or duties allotted to an operative for tenting. Workload is the number of minutes of work done at normal...
- Heroes, Values, and the Organization. Bunke, Harvey C. // Business Horizons;Oct76, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p33
Focuses on the impact of technological innovations on labor productivity in milling industries in the United States. Importance of an effective industrial organization on labor groups; Effects of inflation and the rising gross national products on the industries; Effectiveness of the computer...