Industrial militants and political moderates
- BOOM. Kwong, Kylie // Charter;Dec2013, Vol. 84 Issue 11, p73
The article reviews the book "Boom" by Malcolm Knox.
- The Ashio Riot of 1907 : a Social History of Mining in Japan. Smith, W. Donald // Labour History Review (Maney Publishing);Summer99, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p259
Reviews the book "The Ashio Riot of 1907: A Social History of Mining in Japan," by Kazuo Nimura.
- Mining California: An Ecological History. J. Rawls, James // Journal of American History;Sep2006, Vol. 93 Issue 2, p546
The article reviews the book "Mining California: An Ecological History," by Andrew C. Isenberg.
- Fire and Brimstone: The North Butte Mining Disaster of 1917. Hupp, Stephen L. // Library Journal;6/15/2006, Vol. 131 Issue 11, p84
A review is presented of the book "Fire and Brimstone: The North Butte Mining Disaster of 1917," by Michael Punke.
- Trade Follows the Pick. Briffault, Robert // New Republic;2/15/33, Vol. 74 Issue 950, p24
The article reviews the book "Man and Metals: A History of Mining in Relation to the Development of Civilization," by T. A. Richard.
- Hall of fame. // Engineering & Mining Journal (00958948);Feb98, Vol. 199 Issue 2, p56TT
Profiles some personalities and their contributions to the history of the United States mining. Joseph Wharton's role in the zinc and nickel metal industries; Arthur Fay Taggart, author of `Handbook of Ore Dressing' and `Handbook of Mineral Dressing'; John Benjamin Zedra's development of a...
- Deep enough. Watkins, T.H. // Wilderness (07366477);Summer92, Vol. 55 Issue 197, p31
Discusses current efforts to get the mining industry out of the taxpayers' pockets and into the 20th century. Two Department of Commerce publications: `The Statistical History of the United States From Colonial Times to 1970 (1975)' and `Statistical Abstract of the United States (1991)'; How...
- Killing fields. // New Statesman & Society;10/2/92, Vol. 5 Issue 222, p42
Reviews two books. `Studded with Diamonds and Paved with Gold,' by Laurie Flynn; `The History of Black Mineworkers in South Africa, Volume 1 (1871-1948),' by V.L. Allen.
- A Visit With the Tomboy Bride: Harriet Backus and Her Friends. Gimelli, Louis B. // Journal of the West;Winter2005, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p101
Reviews the book "A Visit With the Tomboy Bride: Harriet Backus and Her Friends," by Duane A. Smith.