Lynn Abrams and Callum G. Brown, A History of Everyday Life in Twentieth-Century Scotland, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2010. Pp. xvi + 302. Paperback ISBN 9780748624317, Â£24.99
- A History of Everyday Life in Twentieth-Century Scotland. Edited by Lynn Abrams and Callum G. Brown. Strange, Julie-Marie // Twentieth Century British History;Dec2011, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p587
The article reviews the book "A History of Everyday Life in Twentieth-Century Scotland," edited by Lynn Abrams and Callum G. Brown.
- A HISTORY OF EVERYDAY LIFE IN TWENTIETH-CENTURY SCOTLAND. // Scotia: Interdisciplinary Journal of Scottish Studies;2009, Vol. 33, p58
The article reviews the book "A History of Everyday Life in Twentieth-Century Scotland," by Lynn Abrams and Callum G. Brown.
- A History of Everyday Life in Twentieth Century Scotland. Kennedy, Allan // History Scotland Magazine;Sep/Oct2011, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p58
A review of the book "A History of Everyday Life in Twentieth Century Scotland," edited by Lynn Abrams and Callum Brown, is presented.
- Trevor Griffiths, The cinema and cinema-going in Scotland, 1896-1950 (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2012. Pp. v+354. Hdbk ISBN 9780748638284, Â£70.00). Kember, Joe // Journal of Scottish Historical Studies;2013, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p305
A review of the book "The Cinema and Cinema-Going in Scotland, 1896-1950," by Trevor Griffiths, is presented.
- WORKING WITH DEATH: AN ORAL HISTORY OF FUNERAL DIRECTING IN LATE TWENTIETH CENTURY SCOTLAND. McFarland, Elaine // Oral History;Spring2008, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p69
The late twentieth century was a period of profound change in death culture, reflecting falling death rates and the rationalisation of death and disposal. This article investigates the experiences of funeral undertakers, a profession who have been in the front line of these changes, but whose...
- Dookers, Divers and the Great Depression. Simpson, Eric // History Scotland Magazine;Mar/Apr2010, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p47
The article discusses the financing and construction of open-air public swimming pools in Scotland in the early 20th century, especially during the Great Depression, and reasons for their popularity despite the cool climate. Topics discussed include the history of swimming and diving as...
- The Social Geography of Prostitution in Edinburgh, 1900-1939. Settle, Louise // Journal of Scottish Historical Studies;2013, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p234
The article discusses geographic aspects of prostitution in Edinburgh, Scotland from 1900 to 1939. Topics include the role of the business districts and entertainment areas in prostitution, Edinburgh policing practices related to prostitution, and the role communication technology in changing...
- Postmodernism for Historians. Cobban, Alan B. // English Historical Review;Feb2006, Vol. 121 Issue 490, p354
Reviews the book "Postmodernism for Historians," by Callum G. Brown.
- Secularisation in the Christian World: Essays in Honor of Hugh McLeod. Noll, Mark A. // Church History;Jun2011, Vol. 80 Issue 2, p435
The article reviews the book "Secularisation in the Christian World: Essays in Honor of Hugh McLeod," edited by Callum G. Brown and Michael Snape.