Steering away from a culture of blame
- Think rationally rather than intuitively when making diagnoses. Coombes, Rebecca // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;11/27/2010, Vol. 341 Issue 7783, p1122
The article discusses the highlights of a conference on patients' safety hosted by Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in 2010. Consensus among participants implied that diagnostic errors partly happen because doctors rely too much on their intuition when making clinical decisions. Among...
- HOW DOCTORS THINK. Groopman, Jerome // Saturday Evening Post;May/Jun2008, Vol. 280 Issue 3, p44
This article discusses the thought processes that go into the diagnostic decisions of doctors, drawing on the book "How Doctors Think." It discusses an article written by Pat Croskerry, an emergency room physician, called "Achieving Quality in Clinical Decision Making: Cognitive Strategies and...
- Current Practice of Emergency Medicine (Book). Pointer, James E. // Annals of Internal Medicine;4/15/92, Vol. 116 Issue 8, p703
Reviews the book 'Current Practice of Emergency Medicine,' edited by Michael L. Callaham.
- Atlas of Emergency Medicine (Book). Marsden, Julian // CJEM: Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine;Mar2003, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p136
Reviews the book 'Atlas of Emergency Medicine,' 2nd edition, edited by K.J. Knoop, L. Stack and A. Storrow.
- Ethics in Emergency Medicine (Book). Schiedermayer, David L. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Mar87, Vol. 106 Issue 3, p489
Reviews the book 'Ethics in Emergency Medicine,' edited by Kenneth V. Iserson, Arthur B. Sanders, Deborah R. Mathieu and Allen E. Buchanan.
- Emergency Medicine (Book). Jacobson, Sheidon // Annals of Internal Medicine;7/1/93, Vol. 119 Issue 1, p96
Reviews the book 'Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice,' 3rd ed., Vols. I, II and III, edited by Peter Rosen and Roger M. Barkin.
- Emergency Medicine (Book Review). Markman, Philip // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);2/20/1982, Vol. 284 Issue 6315, p584
Reviews the book 'Emergency Medicine,' by Roger Evans.
- MGH Textbook of Emergency Medicine (Book). Stine, Robert J. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Sep79, Vol. 91 Issue 3, p511
Reviews the book 'MGH Textbook of Emergency Medicine. Emergency Care as Practiced at the Massachusetts General Hospital,' edited by Earle W. Wilkins, Jr., James J. Dineen and Ashby C. Moncure.
- Infectious Disease in Emergency Medicine (Book). Birnbaumer, Diane M. // Annals of Internal Medicine;3/1/94, Vol. 120 Issue 5, p447
Reviews the book 'Infectious Disease in Emergency Medicine,' edited by Judith C. Brillman and Ronald W. Quenzer.