Disease and the dream of drugs
- Needing to Forget. Crangle, Sara K. // Canadian Literature;Autumn2004, Issue 182, p145
Reviews two books. "The Ability to Forget," by Norman Levine; "Wound Ballistics," by Steven Manners.
- The Pill Book (Book Review). Bowers, Alyce // Library Journal;8/1/1979, Vol. 104 Issue 14, p1552
Reviews the book 'The Pill Book,' by Harold Silverman and Gilbert Simon.
- Pill splitting. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Feb1997, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p6
Focuses on pill splitting and examines its cost effectiveness and health effects. Estimated savings from pill splitting; Reasons for pill splitting; Types that can be split.
- Be Tenacious About Soaking Up Vitamin D. Fields, Helen // U.S. News & World Report;12/26/2005-1/2/06, Vol. 139 Issue 24, p55
The article looks at the importance of getting enough vitamin D from the sun. Vitamin D deficiency is fairly common. The National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get 200 international units a day of vitamin D, which the body needs to absorb calcium. Some people...
- Popping mad. Aldersey-Williams, Hugh // New Statesman;05/29/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4387, p46
Focuses on the design of pills in Great Britain. Information on the growing popularity of drugs; Reference to the design of hte male potency drug, Viagra; Reasons for the efforts made by companies to change the design of pills.
- The new pill book. // Good Housekeeping;Oct93, Vol. 217 Issue 4, p112
Lists 100 of the most prescribed pills. Usage information; Side effects; Premarin; Amoxil; Zantac; Lanoxin; Synthroid; More.
- Trail food, B.C. // Backpacker;May95, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p19
Reports that a pill developed by a Greek army supply officer in 150 B.C. was the first trail ration. Pill's contents and efficacy.
- `Melt in your mouth' pills. // USA Today Magazine;Oct92, Vol. 121 Issue 2569, p10
Predicts that development of a pill that would dissolve on a patients' tongue, rather than be swallowed. Why such a pill would be especially helpful for pediatric and geriatric consumers; Status to-date of tests conducted by Loyd Allen, a pharmaceutics professor at the University of Oklahoma...
- The Pill -- An Essential Guide. Blencowe, Pat // Nursing Standard;12/10/2008, Vol. 23 Issue 14, p30
The article reviews the book "The Pill: An Essential Guide," by Jo Johnson.