Waterfront Workers: New Perspectives on Race and Class
- Nigerian dock workers get new benefits. // African Business;Mar2003, Issue 285, p27
Reports on the agreement of the Nigerian government among maritime industry agencies to provide benefits to dock workers. Proposal to institute a disengagement package; Factor which drove the change in the maritime sector; Improvement of facilities for dockers.
- Stevedore companies. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);07/07/97, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p11A
Presents information on stevedore companies in New Orleans, Louisiana ranked by the number of full-time local employees. Names and address of the companies; Contact information; Number of full-time and part-time employees; Terminal locations; Type of facilities; Type of cargo handled; Services...
- Australia has been through its `Blair stage'. Now the wharfies' victory has unleashed new... Pilger, John // New Statesman;06/12/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4389, p19
Discusses the Australian dockers known as `wharfies,' in the wake of their reinstatement victory in High Court in May 1998. Circumstances surrounding the ruling of High Court; Issues aiding the victory; Information on the status of the unions for the workers; Details on the possible lack of...
- Disturbing the peace. Fabey, Michael // Traffic World;04/06/98, Vol. 254 Issue 1, p38
Reports on various issues among truckers, dockworkers that affect East Coast waterfronts. Reason for the decision by dockworkers in Virginia not to show up for work; Reference to the locals of the International Longshoremen's Association's rejection of a contract offer from the Massachusetts...
- The Dockers' Union: A Study of tyhe National Union of Dock Labourers, 1889-1922 (Book Review). Tholfsen, Trygve R. // American Historical Review;Jun88, Vol. 93 Issue 3, p705
Reviews the book 'The Dockers' Union: A Study of the National Union of Dock Labourers, 1889-1922,' by Eric Taplin.
- Longshoremen: Community and Resistance on the Brooklyn Waterfront. Zaretsky, Eli // Labour / Le Travail;Spring87, Vol. 19, p236
The article reviews the book "Longshoremen: Community and Resistance on the Brooklyn Waterfront," by William DeFazio.
- Tentative Contract Averts East Coast, Gulf Coast Port Strike. THOMAS, LARRY // Home Textiles Today;2/11/2013, Vol. 34 Issue 5, p16
The article offers information on a tentative contract agreement between the East Coast and Gulf Coast port operators and unionized dock workers that has averted a strike which may cause the shut down of the ports.
- Sea-Land official says Europe dockworkers must be more flexible. Brennan, Terry // Traffic World;7/10/95, Vol. 243 Issue 2, p40
Reports on the need for dock workers to change their resistance to flexible work hours at major European ports. Comment by Jan Gelderland, general manager for Sea-Land Service Inc.; Benefits of flexible working hours on works for new containerships; Scheme at the Delta Sea-Land terminal.
- Scrambling for cargo. Darce, Keith // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);3/3/97, Vol. 17 Issue 35, p1
Reports on the formation of the company Stevedores Incorporated, which will handle general cargo on Mississippi wharves. Circumstances surrounding the creation of the company; Future plans of the company.