Poverty and Poor Law Reform in Britain: From Chadwick to Booth, 1834-1914
- Poverty and the Poor Law in Ireland, 1850-1914. PASETA, SENIA // English Historical Review;Jun2015, Vol. 130 Issue 544, p770
No abstract available.
- Beyond the Poor Law (Book). Mcgovern, Geoiwe // Social Work;Oct70, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p105
Reviews the book "Beyond the Poor Law," by Eveline Burns.
- The Great Society's Poor Law: A New Approach to Poverty. (Book Review). Ornati, Oscar A. // Industrial & Labor Relations Review;Jan70, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p283
This article reviews the book "The Great Society's Poor Law: A New Approach to Poverty," by Sar A. Levitan.
- A GREAT SOCIETY'S POOR LAW: A REVIEW ARTICLE . Yarmolinsky, Adam // Journal of Human Resources;Winter70, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p3
Reviews the book "The Great Society's Poor Law: A New Approach to Poverty," by Sar A. Levitan.
- The Speenhamland County (Book Review). Brundage, Anthony // American Historical Review;Dec83, Vol. 88 Issue 5, p1265
Reviews the book 'The Speenhamland Country: Poverty and the Poor Laws in Berkshire,' by Mark Neuman.
- THE IDEA OF POVERTY. Himmelfarb, Gertrude // History Today;Apr84, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p22
Himmelfarb begins her article by establishing that it was not until the time of Malthus that the notion of a direct relationship between the prosperity of a nation and the welfare of its people was rejected; an inverse relationship was suggested by Malthus. Malthusianism caught the imagination...
- DESTITUTION. Øyen, Else // Poverty: An International Glossary;2006, p51
A definition of the term "destitution" is presented. It refers to a total, or virtually complete, absence of resources. Although the term is indicative of extreme poverty, it is not necessarily equivalent. The Poor Law, implemented in England from 1601-1948, offered poor relief only to those who...
- The Politics of Poor Relief. de Nie, Michael // Irish Literary Supplement;Spring2011, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p9
Reviews the book "The Making of the Irish Poor Law, 1815-1843," by Peter Gray.
- The Old Poor Law in Scotland: The Experience of Poverty, 1574-1845 (Book). Clark, Anna // Journal of Social History;Summer2003, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p1107
Reviews the non-fiction book 'The Old Poor Law in Scotland: The Experience of Poverty, 1574â€“1845,' by Rosalind Mitchison.