- HUNGRY GHOSTS: MAO'S SECRET FAMINE Day, Frank // Magill Book Reviews;
Jasper Becker relates the shocking story of the thirty million who starved to death during Mao Zedong's misconceived Great Leap Forward in Communist China in 1958-1962.
- Autocratic ghosts and Chinese hunger. Caplan, Bryan // Independent Review;Winter2000, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p431
Reviews the books `Hungry Ghosts: Mao's Secret Famine,' by Jasper Becker and `Autocratic Tradition and Chinese Politics,' by Zhengyuan Fu.
- At a glance. // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Apr97, Vol. 69 Issue 4, p62
Features books about travel. `With Chatwin: Portrait of a Writer,' by Susannah Clapp; `Hungry Ghosts: China's Secret Famine,' by Jasper Becker; `Silenced Rivers: The Ecology and Politics of Large Dams,' by Patrick McCully; `American Indian Myths and Legends,' edited by Richard Erdoes and...
- Chinese peasants reflect on Mao's turbulent rule. Tyson, Ann Scott // Christian Science Monitor;8/11/97, Vol. 89 Issue 179, p15
Reviews three books which investigate the impact of Mao Zedong's cultural revolution on rural communities in China. `Hungry Ghosts: Mao's Secret Famine,' by Jasper Becker; `The Temple of Memories: History, Power, and Morality in a Chinese Village,' by Jun Jing; `Spider Eaters: A Memoir,' by Rae...
- The Chinese. Hulme, Virginia A. // China Business Review;Nov/Dec2002, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p52
Reviews the book 'The Chinese,' by Jasper Becker.
- Rogue Regime. James, Victoria // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Oct2005, Vol. 77 Issue 10, p86
Reviews the book "Rogue Regime," by Jasper Becker.
- Dragon rising; an inside look at China today. Julian, Janet // Kliatt;Jul2008, p36
The article reviews the book "Dragon Rising; An Inside Look at China Today," by Jasper Becker.
- Meet the Monster. Lilley, James R. // American Spectator;Sep2005, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p76
Reviews the book "Rogue Regime: King Jong Il and the Looming Threat of North Korea," by Jasper Becker.
- The Chinese / New Shanghai: The Rocky Rebirth of China's Legendary City. Pye, Lucian W. // Foreign Affairs;Sep/Oct2001, Vol. 80 Issue 5, p174
Reviews two books about China. "The Chinese," by Jasper Becker; "New Shanghai: The Rocky Rebirth of China's Legendary City," by Pamela Yatsko.