Denomination And Church
- With new zeal, France screens religious `sects' Chaddock, Gail Russell // Christian Science Monitor;11/18/96, Vol. 88 Issue 247, p1
Discusses attempts to screen religious sects in France. Details on measures taken; Reasons for the screening; Statistical information on the number of sects in France; Details on the appointment of a `Mr. Sect'; Comments from government officials.
- The lure of upward mobility. Parvin, R.S. // Christian Century;3/7/90, Vol. 107 Issue 8, p239
Describes how mainline denominations succumb to the lure of prestige, thus failing in three ways: overemphasis on large churches, inflexible liturgy, and unfair method of paying clergy.
- Yahweh's way. // Newsweek;11/10/1986, Vol. 108 Issue 20, p31
Yahweh, a group of black Americans claiming to be the real descendants of Judah living in a country full of white devils, is based in Miami. Their mission is ostensibly religious, but violence shadows the sect. A recent shooting incident in Opa Locka, Florida resulted in one member being...
- New York court blocks Hasidic school district again. // Church & State;Sep98, Vol. 51 Issue 8, p3
Reports that a state law in Kiryas Joel, New York which created a special `public' school for Satmar Hasidic sect members, has been declared unconstitutional by the Appellate Division of the state Supreme Court. Suggestion that the law violates the separation of church and state; Appeal to be...
- Denominational scene. // Christianity Today;9/24/90, Vol. 34 Issue 13, p51
Presents highlights of recent meetings and decisions of several church denominations. Includes the annual convention of the Progressive National Baptist Convention; Membership statistics for the Assemblies of God; New province proposed for the Episcopal Church.
- Is global great awakening just around the corner? Tapia, Andres // Christianity Today;11/14/94, Vol. 38 Issue 13, p80
Reports on the growth of prayer movements worldwide. Effects to church renewal; Background on prayer movements; Technology's role in motivating people to pray; Role of spiritual warfare.
- Bishops warn against sects. // Christianity Today;4/9/90, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p54
Comments on a pastoral letter issued by Mexican and Californian bishops warning against the proselytizing efforts of sects. Background of the letter.
- Abstaining from sects. Marty, M.E. // Christian Century;5/6/92, Vol. 109 Issue 16, p503
Discusses how people can call groups what they want to be called or be neutral and call groups denominations, but if they want to be fair, honest and ecumenical, not disdainful or sneering, they will not call them sects. The world's 995,78 0,000 Roman Catholics; The world's 166,942,000 Orthodox...
- Don't write off denominations. Meyer, G. // Christianity Today;10/28/91, Vol. 35 Issue 12, p10
Considers the future of religious denominations. Why Princeton sociologist Robert Wuthnow believes they are no longer meaningful; Brief history of denominations; Support for the concept expressed by lecturer Martin Marty at Calvin Theological Seminary; Positive benefits of denominations.