Ooti: A Child of the Nisenan (Book)
- EVERETT "WEARY" SMITH. Covert, Shelly // News from Native California;Spring2013, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p40
The article presents an obituary for Everett Smith, a Nisenan Elder.
- Nisenan Heritage Day 2015. Swan-Perkins, Samuel White // News from Native California;Winter2015/2016, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p11
The article discusses highlights from the Nisenan Heritage Day event held in November 2015 in Nevada City, Nevada.
- HOW TO COOK A PORCUPINE. // News from Native California;Winter2012/2013, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p6
An interview with Abby Smith, a member of the Nisenan tribe of the Nevada City Rancheria, California, is presented. When asked about information on porcupine, Smith mentions that it is one of the foods that the tribe eats, and discusses how it is prepared. According to her, porcupines have a...
- Nisenan. // California Indians;1999, p30
Provides facts about the traditional way of life, population and language of Nisenan, one of the early California Indian groups that settled in the state's east central region.
- REAWAKENING A SILENT SONG. Covert, Shelly; Lowry, Judith // News from Native California;Winter2010/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p24
The article describes how musician Shelly Covert learned to sing Nisenan songs specifically a song dedicated to the Sutter Buttes or Histum Yani. Jane Lewis, a notable figure in Nisenan history, dreamt the song and gifted it to Lizzie Enos whose singing was recorded in the 1970s. Enos gifted the...
- Historic Firehouse Museum Gets a BURST of Native Energy. Covert, Shelly // News from Native California;Spring2010, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p34
The article focuses on the effort of the descendants of the Nisenan Indian families to help restore the Native American artifact collection held at the Firehouse Museum in Nevada City, California in partnership with the California Heritage Indigenous Research Project (CHIRP). The guidance...
- Fiction--grade 5 & up. Andronik, Catherine M. // Library Talk;Sep/Oct96, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p27
Reviews several fiction books for children. Includes `The Comeback Challenge,' by Matt Christopher; `Purey Rosie Pearl,' by Patricia Cochrane; `Dolphin Treasures,' by Wayne Grover; `Child of the Wolves,' by Elizabeth Hall; `Earthquake Terror,' by Peg Kehret; `Room for a Stranger,' by Ann Turnbull.
- Books about all kinds of heroes. Freeman, Judy // Instructor-Primary;Apr98, Vol. 107 Issue 7, p26
Recommends books about heroes or others that lead interesting lives for reading by elementary school students. Includes `Meanwhile...,' by Jules Feiffer; `William the Curious: Knight of the Water Lilies,' by Charles Santore; `Birdie's Lighthouse,' by Deborah Hopkinson.
- Anthology of Children's Literature (Book Review). // Education;Spring75, Vol. 95 Issue 3, p215
Anthology of Children's Literature. Fourth Edition. E. Johnson, E. R. Sickles, and F. C. Sayers. Illustrated by F. Eichenberg.Houghton Mifflin Company, New York, 1970. 1289 pp. The book is focused squarely on children's literature. Children's literature is considered to be a segment of...