TOUR OF DUTY: 50 Inspiring Stories From Our Men and Women in the Armed Forces (Book)
- Cozy US-Japan ties feel like a noose to China. Platt, Kevin // Christian Science Monitor;6/17/97, Vol. 89 Issue 141, p6
Reports that China's military strategists closely monitor every move made by the United States (U.S.) in the Far East. Reaction of the Chinese military strategists to the military agreement between the U.S. and Japan; Information on the relationship between the U.S. and China.
- Exit the Balkans pronto. Carpenter, Ted Galen // Christian Science Monitor;1/29/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 44, p9
Editorial. Suggests that United States President George W. Bush should withdraw United States troops from the Balkans as soon as possible.
- War talk. // Current Events;11/30/90, Vol. 90 Issue 11, p1
Discusses President George Bush's decision to increase US troop strength in the Persian Gulf. Examines the constitutional debate over the President's authority to declare war. Article 1, section 8 of the US Constitution; Gulf of Tonkin Resolution; War Powers Act of 1973; Congress' power to...
- Speaking on the Gulf crisis. Chavis Jr., B.F. // Essence (Essence);Jan1991, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p100
Opinion. Calls for questions from African-Americans about the need for United States military buildup and involvement in the Persian Gulf. The author claims African-Americans are disproportionately deployed on the front lines of the Persian Gulf.
- Navigating the gulf. Sterner, M. // Foreign Policy;Winter90, Issue 81, p39
States that the American presence in the Persian Gulf area raises serious questions about US policies and objectives. Long-term policy focus on whether regional or international security systems can relieve the US of the burden of defending her interests; Examination of deeper political currents...
- Gen. Powell visits black caucus on Capitol Hill. // Jet;3/18/91, Vol. 79 Issue 22, p5
Reports on the meeting of Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Colin Powell with the congressional black caucus, known to be critical of the high percentage of blacks fighting in the Persian Gulf. Powell's explanation of large black military participation; Caucus chair N.Y. Rep. Edolphus Town's...
- POLL: No support for ground forces. C.F. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);6/19/95, Vol. 42 Issue 25, p10
Reports on the results of a survey conducted by `This Week' publication concerning US President Bill Clinton's plan to send American ground forces to protect United Nations peacekeepers in Bosnia. Percentage of respondents who support the plan.
- Russian lessons learned in Bosnia. Thomas, Timothy L. // Military Review;Sep/Oct1996, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p38
Discusses the lessons learned by Russian Colonel Andrei Demurenko in the United States' peacekeeping (PK) activities in Bosnia. Manipulation of United Nations forces; International cooperation; Need for military-political savvy; Paring down of the force.
- High tech hits at Iraq. Brown, S.F. // Popular Science;Apr91, Vol. 238 Issue 4, p22
Discusses how the Patriot Missile, Tomahawk, smart bombs and other high-tech weapons which have been developed over the past 20 years recently proved themselves in battle during the Persian Gulf War.