Terror from the sea
- IMPERATOR VERSUS IMPERATOR. Jordan, Jonathan W. // Military History;Feb2001, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p50
Provides information on the battle of Pharsalus between the armies of Julius Caesar and Pompey. Prelude to the battle; Decision made by Julius Caesar at the Rubicon River; Preparations made before the battle; Details on the battle in which Julius Caesar won. INSET: MARIAN REFORMS AND THE LEGION.
- THE ROLE OF CATO THE YOUNGER IN CAESAR'S BELLUM CIVILE. Yates, David C. // Classical World;Winter2011, Vol. 104 Issue 2, p161
The article offers the author's insights on the role of Marcus Cato in the poem "Bellum Civile," by Jullius Caesar. The author states that Caesar treats Cato in the poem with more restraint than is commonly thought and the narrative function includes portrayal advances of Cato. He examines...
- THE CAMP OF POMPEY: STRATEGY OF REPRESENTATION IN CAESAR'S BELLUM CIUILE. Rossi, Andreola // Classical Journal;Feb/Mar2000, Vol. 95 Issue 3, p239
Examines the narrative structure of Julius Caesar in his description of Pompey's camp after the battle of Pharsalus in 48 B.C. Ideological and political subtexts in the narrative; Interpretations of scholars on the un-Roman moral and political shortcomings of the Pompeians; Propagandistic...
- CAESAR'S PRE-BATTLE SPEECH AT PHARSALUS (B.C. 3.85.4): RIDICULUM ACRI FORTIUS � SECAT RES. Nordling, John G. // Classical Journal;Dec2005/Jan2006, Vol. 101 Issue 2, p183
The article presents the author's views on the speech of Julius Caesar before the War of Pharsalus. Caesar had claimed that constant mobility had been a fact of life for him and his soldiers. Although Caesar's brief remarks at Pharsalus did not constitute a pre-battle harangue, the effect of his...
- THE TRAGEDY OF POMPEY THE GREAT: ACT I. MASEFIELD, JOHN // Poems & Plays of John Masefield, Vol. 2;1918, p267
The article presents Act I of the drama titled "The Tragedy of Pompey the Great."
- THE TRAGEDY OF POMPEY THE GREAT: ACT II. MASEFIELD, JOHN // Poems & Plays of John Masefield, Vol. 2;1918, p301
The article presents Act II of the drama titled "The Tragedy of Pompey the Great."
- THE TRAGEDY OF POMPEY THE GREAT: ACT III. MASEFIELD, JOHN // Poems & Plays of John Masefield, Vol. 2;1918, p336
The article presents Act III of the drama titled "The Tragedy of Pompey the Great."
- PERSONAL FACTS ABOUT CAESAR. // Calliope;Dec2006, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p1
The article presents certain facts about Roman emperor Julius Caesar mentioned by a biographer.
- CAESAR'S WORLD. // Calliope;Dec2006, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p2
The article presents various facts about the life of Roman emperor Julius Caesar.