CHAPTER FOUR: Sex, Selfhood, Literature and Politics
- D.H. Lawrence and the female body. Ellis, David // Essays in Criticism;Apr96, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p136
Discusses D.H. Lawrence's attitude to sexual matters and how this was reflected in two of his writings, `Mr Noon' and `Lady Chatterley's Lover.' Lawrence's friendship with George Neville; Provision of material for Lawrence's `Mr Noon' through Neville's experience of being obliged to acknowledge...
- D. H. Lawrence, Working Poets, and Political Correctness. Adelman, Gary // Southern Review;Spring2002, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p334
Presents an article about the views of literature students on the poet D. H. Lawrence. Reaction of students to a course on Lawrence's ideology; Excerpts of essays on the poet; Discussion of his poem 'Snake.'
- D. H. LAWRENCE. Bilan, R.P. // Contemporary Literature;Winter78, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p124
Interprets the literary works of novelist D.H. Lawrence. Criticisms on the works of Lawrence; Emphasis on the crisis of life in the modern civilization; Consideration on the relation of thought and creativity in literature.
- MORE MATTER, LESS ART: THE CONTINUING COURSE OF LAWRENCE CRITICISM. Humma, John B. // Studies in the Novel;Spring87, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p79
Examines the criticism on the life and work of D.H. Lawrence. Attempt to bring the events of Lawrence's life into intellectual and cultural frames; Studies on aspects of Lawrence's thought; Discussion of Lawrence's literary criticism; Lawrence's concern with the affective force of literature;...
- Metaphysics and sexual politics in Lawrence's novels. McHugh, Patrick // College Literature;Jun93, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p83
Analyzes the metaphysics of D.H. Lawrence's writings. Debate on the relationship between the sexes; Opinions of Simone de Beauvoir and Kate Millet on Lawrence; Julia Kristeva's explorations on the feminist politics of disruption; Lawrence's insights into sexual politics despite his chauvinism.
- D.H. Lawrence's narrators, sources of knowledge, and the problem of coherence. Squires, Michael // Criticism;Summer95, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p469
Studies D.H. Lawrence's use of fictional narrators. Problem with Lawrence's use of a variety of narrative voices; Effect of the lack of coherence among sources of knowledge within the text; Lawrence's technique for initiating the flow of emotional responses.
- THE LATER LAWRENCE. Schorer, Mark // New Republic;4/7/53, Vol. 126 Issue 14, p17
Reviews the book "The Later D.H. Lawrence," by William York Tindall.
- NIETZSCHE, HELEN CORKE, and D. H. LAWRENCE. Green, Eleanor H. // American Notes & Queries;Dec76, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p56
Discusses the impact of German philosopher and writer Friedrich Nietzsche's works on writer D.H. Lawrence. Lawrence's works which indicates the level of influence on him; Expressions of happiness in Nietzsche's poem 'Einsiedlers Sehnsucht' that affected the writer; Analogy in the poems written...
- CHAPTER ONE: Introduction: Lawrence At "The Bloody Crossroads". Scherr, Barry J. // D.H. Lawrence Today: Literature, Culture, Politics;2004, p1
The chapter explores the left wing academia's discrimination against English author D. H. Lawrence. With the indubitable triumph of left-wing politics over literature at the academy in the 1990s Lawrence's reputation appears to be in permanent eclipse. With excellence being replaced by diversity...