Tales of Burning Love: Louise Erdrich's "Scarlet Letter"
- Puritan and Vietnamese Views on Self, Sin, Love and Moral Mission -- Present-Day Vietnamese Readers' Views at Hue College of Foreign Languages. Nguyen Trong Nhan; Ho Thi Lai // Language in India;Jul2012, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p385
The article discusses a study on the views of the 17th century Puritans and the 21st century Vietnamese on self, sin, love and moral mission with reference to the novel "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It gives the views of English-majored students and teachers at the Hue College of...
- NARRATIVE OF THE CAPTIVITY AND REDEMPTION OF ROGER PRYNNE: REREADING THE SCARLET LETTER. Reid, Bethany // Studies in the Novel;Fall2001, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p247
Attempts to demonstrate that Nathaniel Hawthorne's paternal deprivation and ambivalence toward other father figures is mirrored and distorted not only in the biological family group of 'The Scarlet Letter,' but also in the figure of Roger Chillingworth. Biographical details; Characteristics of...
- A Brief Study on the Symbolic Meaning of the Main Characters' Name in The Scarlet Letter. Nan Lei // Theory & Practice in Language Studies;Oct2015, Vol. 5 Issue 10, p2164
As a great romantic novelist in American literature in the 19th century and a central figure in the American Renaissance, Nathaniel Hawthorne is outstanding for his skillful employment of symbolism and powerful psychological insight. The Scarlet Letter, which is considered to be the greatest...
- From The Scarlet Letter. Hawthorne, Nathaniel // Hutchinson Literary Extracts;2007, p1
An excerpt from the book "The Scarlet Letter," by Nathaniel Hawthorne is presented.
- The Scarlet Letter. Hawthorne, Nathaniel // World's Greatest Books -- Volume 05 -- Fiction;3/1/2006, p29
Presents the short story "The Scarlet Letter," by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
- Audio reviews. Zinsser, John // Publishers Weekly;6/7/1993, Vol. 240 Issue 23, p26
Reviews the audiobook `The Scarlet Letter,' by Nathaniel Hawthorne, read by Jane Seymour.
- "A Curious Subject of Observation and Inquiry": Homoeroticism, the Body, and Authorship in Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Derrick, Scott S. // Novel: A Forum on Fiction;Spring95, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p308
Analyzes the staging of homosexual identity in Nathaniel Hawthorne's `The Scarlet Letter.' Book as an important document for an understanding of the emergence of sexual identity in the 19th and 20th century; Noting of passages in book suggesting the importance of homoerotic dynamics to the...
- Hawthorne, inheritance, and women's property. Brown, Gillian // Studies in the Novel;Spring91, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p107
Argues that Nathaniel Hawthorne recapitulates the increase in married women's control over their inheritances in `The Scarlet Letter.' Redemption of the inheritance of adultery entitling Pearl to Chillingworth's estate for which her illegitimacy would ordinarily disqualify her; Domestication of...
- Red-faced. Fung, Shirliey // Entertainment Weekly;10/27/95, Issue 298, p10
Focuses on Disney's claim that Nathaniel Hawthorne's novel `The Scarlet Letter' which has a film adaptation was the most controversial novel of its time. Hawthorne expert Richard Rust's comments that there were only few copies of the novel printed to incite a national scandal; Other novels...