CHAPTER FOUR: "The Fall of 1951"
- Delillo's surrogate believers. // Commonweal;11/07/97, Vol. 124 Issue 19, p19
Presents the essay `Delillo's Surrogate Believers,' by Paul Elie.
- An Underhistory of Mid-Century America. LeClair, Tom // Atlantic;Oct1997, Vol. 280 Issue 4, p113
This article presents a review of the book "Underworld," by Don DeLillo.
- Times Square facelift. // Newsweek;11/19/1984, Vol. 104 Issue 20, p91
For better and for worse, New York's scruffy Times Square will soon have a new look--transformed by a complex of four office towers designed by architects Philip Johnson and John Burgee. The impact of this project on all who visit, use and dream about Times Square cannot be overstated.
- Times Square faces radical change. // New York;4/2/84, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p28
Today it's one of New York's worst neighborhoods, but it is also a lively and eclectic crossroads. In 1981, a set of design guidelines for developers of the square was released. Last December a plan was unveiled, and in the place of varied forms and bright lights, were four monolithic buildings.
- Times Square profile. // Crain's New York Business;10/14/96, Vol. 12 Issue 42, p50
Reports that there were 668 retail establishments in Times Square which boasted 1.3 million square feet of selling space. Categories of establishments according to a census by the Times Square Business Improvement District; Decline in crime in the area since 1993.
- Goodbye, Damon Runyon hello, Mickey Mouse. Adler, Jerry; Malone, Maggie // Newsweek;5/13/1996, Vol. 127 Issue 20, p61
Looks at the transformation of Times Square in New York City. Getting rid of the Times Square of legend, including banishing of sex shops; Effects of such actions; Broadway ticket sales since clean up of the area; History of the transformation from the completion of new buildings in the 1980s;...
- Time Square redux. Siskin, Jonathan // Travel Agent;11/21/94, Vol. 273 Issue 6, p74
Focuses on the 42nd Street Development Project encompassing Times Square in New York City. Project's goal of rejuvenating the stretch of West 42nd street between Broadway and Eighth Avenue; Hotel chains and developers competing for the retail site within the project area; Creative approach to...
- IMPRESARIO OF TIMES SQUARE. Odell, Patricia // Promo;Dec2003, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p35
Features the opportunities in Times Square, New York. President of the Times Square Alliance; Great shows involving huge effort; Plans for the future to better accommodate great shows.
- Some of the old Times Square is still there. Howard, Lucy; Koehl, Carla // Newsweek;9/9/1996, Vol. 128 Issue 11, p8
Mentions that New York's Times Square is being made over into a family-friendly area. Offers a looks at famous landmarks including Hotalings News, Howard Johnson's and Jimmy's Corner.