CHAPTER FIVE: Extenders: Helping Young Writers Enter the Academy
- Periodical Notes. // Education;Feb1912, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p396
This article mentions academic papers published in periodicals such as "The Century Magazine," "North American Review," "Lippincott's Magazine," "Harvard Theological Review," "The American Review of Reviews," and "Suburban Life". Subjects include American college students and conditions in U.S....
- The Top 100 Associate Degrees Conferred. BORDEN, VICTOR M.H. // Diverse: Issues in Higher Education;5/10/2012, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p33
Several charts are presented listing the top 100 U.S. colleges in terms of awarding degrees, such as University of Phoenix, Miami Dade College, and Broward College, broken down by ethnic group and gender, such as African-Americans, American Indians, and Asian-Americans.
- Academic Assimilation. Martin, Assunta // Language Magazine;Jun2010, Vol. 9 Issue 10, p28
The article discusses the impact of culture on the writing skills of international students relative to English language. It states that the academic writing in the U.S. universities and colleges has placed various challenges to foreign students. It notes that the teachers are instructed on how...
- From the Literature. Butler, Daniel // Campus Safety & Student Development;
The article presents abstracts on topics about U.S. universities and students including a qualitative approach to determining why students procrastinate, the use of new media theory to improve the writing habits of students, and key features and approaches to how college students experience...
- Everyday Diplomacy. Smith, G. Marie // Education;Jun1950, Vol. 70 Issue 10, p617
This article focuses on a summer school program for Cuban students offered at Milligan College in East Tennessee in 1950. The program turned out to be a lesson in sociology, geography, and diplomatic relations as well as teaching methods. Fourteen Cuban students were enrolled in an Intensive...
- LA EXPRESIÃ“N DE OPINIÃ“N EN TEXTOS ACADÃ‰MICOS ESCRITOS POR ESTUDIANTES UNIVERSITARIOS. CASTRO AZUARA, MARÍA CRISTINA; SÁNCHEZ CAMARGO, MARTÍN // Revista Mexicana de InvestigaciÃ³n Educativa;2013, Vol. 18 Issue 57, p483
Based on the linguistic analysis of a corpus of scholastic essays, in this article we explore the discursive resources that university students use in the construction and expression of opinion during the fi nal courses of their academic studies. Our objective is to identify, through a...
- Can This Campus Be Bought? Croissant, Jennifer L. // Academe;Sep/Oct2001, Vol. 87 Issue 5, p44
Discusses the effects of commercial activities on university campuses in the United States. Commercialization of student life in the university; Limitation of technologies presented in school due to specific systems picked by the university; Legitimacy of the relationship between a commercial...
- The essential mission: Teaching undergraduates. Naylor, Thomas H.; Willimon, William H. // Academic Questions;Fall96, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p44
Focuses on the mission of universities in the United States in teaching the undergraduates. Restructuring of higher education; Division of large universities into residential colleges; Estimating the optimum-size undergraduate learning environment.
- Cognitive growth at 2- and 4-year colleges studied. Viadero, Debra // Education Week;3/22/95, Vol. 14 Issue 26, p5
Discusses a report published in the March 1995 issue of `Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis' journal citing a more substantial cognitive growth for students at two-year colleges as compared with four-year institutions. Procedures used; Similarities and differences between the colleges.