Saving the Fallen City of Mahagonny: The Musical Elaboration of Brecht's Epic Theatre
- Brecht's Gestic Vision for Opera: Why the Shock of Recognition Is More Powerful in The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny than in The Three Penny Opera. Hilliker, Rebecca; Rennert, Hellmut Hal // Essays on Twentieth-Century German Drama & Theater: An American ;2004, p225
An essay from the book "Essays on Twentieth-Century German Drama and Theater: An American Reception 1977-1999" is presented. It compares "The Three Penny Opera" and "The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny," both of which are operas written by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill. In both operas,...
- Tony winner Doyle polishes 'Mahagonny.' Hofler, Robert // Daily Variety;6/23/2006, Vol. 291 Issue 59, pA4
The article reports that Tony Award winner John Doyle will direct the Los Angeles Opera's production of "The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny." The opera will premiere in February 2007 in Los Angeles, California. The production will star Audra McDonald and Patti LuPone. Doyle offers ideas...
- WHISKEY BARS AND PRETTY BOYS. // Limelight;May2015, p110
The article reviews a staging of Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill's opera â€œThe Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny", directed by John Fulljames, and to be staged at the Royal Opera House (ROH) Convent Garden in London, England from May 22, 2015 to May 27, 2015.
- Mythical Mahagonny. // Time;5/11/1962, Vol. 79 Issue 19, p72
The article focuses on the mythical city of Mahagonny on the Gulf coast of the U.S. It notes that "The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny" was an ambitious collaboration and a successful stage work of playwright Bertolt Brecht and composer Kurt Weill. It highlights the revival of "Mahagonny"...
- The Threepenny Opera. CORSE, SANDRA // St. James Opera Encyclopedia;2001, p238
An encyclopedia entry about the opera "Die Dreigroschenoper" (The Threepenny Opera) is presented. The opera was composed by Kurt Weill and was initially performed at Theater am Schiffbauerdamm in Berlin, Germany on August 31, 1928. It is said to have created a new style between opera and popular...
- THE THREEPENNY OPERA. Marchese, Eric // Back Stage (1946-5440);2/26/2009, Vol. 50 Issue 9, p13
The article reviews the musical theatrical production "The Threepenny Opera," by Bertolt Brecht and composed by Kurt Weill.
- A Penny from heaven in New Rep's revamped production. Garvey, Tom // Bay Windows;1/22/2004, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p22
Reviews the revival of the musical "The Threepenny Opera," written by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill and performed at the New Repertory Theater in Newton, Massachusetts through February 8, 2004.
- Shock Opera. Gostin, Nicki // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);5/15/2006 (Pacific Edition), Vol. 147 Issue 20, p82
The author reviews a performance of the theatrical production "The Threepenny Opera," by Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht.
- Bertolt Brecht. Belanger, Craig // Bertolt Brecht;2005, p1
Presents biographical information on German playwright and director Bertolt Brecht. Childhood and education; Involvement in German theater during the early 1920s; Success of his early plays, including 'Baal'; Collaboration with Lion Feuchtwanger.