Sign and Referent in the Work of Robert Wilson: Reconstituting the Human Form
- Sharing Vision. Mulcahy, Lisa // Stage Directions;Feb2006, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p50
This article discusses what theatrical companies need to expect when hiring a scene shop to help them build their production. The challenges that a theatrical company could face when dealing with a shop to build a show are mentioned. A step-by-step guide to working well with a scenic shop is...
- Ball Of Chain. Ryan, Steve // Stage Directions;Feb2006, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p54
In this article, the author, a director of production at Opera Theatre of St. Louis, Missouri, describes how he and his set designer addressed a design problem for the production of Rigoletto. The author reports that the set designer had designed a unit set that in two scenes required a chain...
- The Thane of Chelsea. sekules, kate // Interior Design;Sep2011, Vol. 82 Issue 11, p276
The article looks at three warehouses in Chelsea, New York City, which are used by the London theater group Punchdrunk as the setting for the play "Sleep No More." It describes the interior, where smells, temperatures and sounds are incorporated with early 20th century furniture and taxidermy.
- REALISM IS FOR DOCUMENTARIES. Blankenship, Mark // Variety;5/21/2007, Vol. 407 Issue 1, pA4
The article discusses the challenges that set designers face when creating effective scenery. Set designers Bob Crowley and Scott Pask used heavy symbolism in their set to recreate 19th-century Russia in Tom Stoppard's drama "The Coast of Utopia." For the World War I drama "Journey's End,"...
- Scenografijos pradÅ¾iamokslis Kauno meno mokykloje. Bitinaitė-Širvinskienė, Raimonda // Acta Academiae Artium Vilnensis;2008, Issue 49, p113
Kaunas School of Art was the first public office of education in the 20th century that offered special preparation for set designers in Lithuania. The strongest forces in the art of Lithuanian set design studied and later taught here, becoming integrated into the processes of the interpretation...
- reconstructing THE THEATRES OF ANTWERP (1561-1711). De Paepe, Timothy // TD&T: Theatre Design & Technology;Spring2009, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p10
The article focuses on the evolution of theaters from 1561-1711 and the theater life in Antwerp, Belgium in which informative images are depicted through computer models that help visualize little-known theaters. It explores the construction and operation of the four theaters, such as the...
- Spectacular ST. PETERSBURG. Brandesky, Joe // TD&T: Theatre Design & Technology;Spring2002, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p15
The article focuses on the historical and the cultural changes in Saint Petersburg's 100 years of Russian theater design. According to the author, the article attempts to maintain the relationships of the centuries and the designers. The century was divided into five acts, which emphasized the...
- ETTA LILIENTHAL. // Entertainment Design;Oct2004, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p18
Profiles Set Designer Etta Lilienthal. Recent Works; Design influence; Career background.
- Pure and simple. Smurthwaite, Nick // Design Week;4/1/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 14, p36
Assesses the late Jocelyn Herbert's selfless approach to set design. Expertise of Herbert in choosing the right elements that are exciting without being distracting; Description of some of Herbert's works of art; Influence of Herbert to the whole generation of stage designers.