CHAPTER 2: ECONOMIC LIFE: STONE WORK
- Mortar and pestle sets. // Rourke's Native American History & Culture Encyclopedia;Jun2009, Issue 6, p24
Information on Mortar and pestle sets, which refers to utensils often made of stone that made crushing food easier, is presented.
- The Mortar & Pestle. Everage, Laura // Gourmet Retailer;Jan2003, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p124
Focuses on the evolution of a basic and oldest pair of kitchen utensils used in food preparation, mortar & pestle. Uses of mortar & pestle; Reason why it is considered to be the most important part of cooking utensils even today; Materials used in making mortar & pestle.
- CHAPTER 2: ECONOMIC LIFE: MANUFACTURES. Brusa, Betty War // Salinan Indians of California;1975, p27
This chapter provides information on Salinan manufactures. With the exception of basketry, the subject of Salinan manufactures would be pertinent more to the topic of archaeology than to that of ethnology. Almost all Salinan manufactures are stone implements of which it can be stated only that...
- BLACK GRANITE SIMPLE MORTAR & PESTLE. // Gourmet Retailer;Jul2004, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p115
This article presents information on black granite mortar and pestle developed by South Elmonte, California-based Nexus Marketing. Being a fan of mortar and pestles, most on the market are very small. John Julian Designs has a whole line of big, heavy mortar and pestles that both work well and...
- mortar and pestle. // Artist's Illustrated Encyclopedia;2001, p259
Information on the term "mortar and pestle" is presented. It is a device for grinding materials such as pigments. The mortar is either a slab with a depression or a vessel such as a ceramic dish. The pestle is a rounded object, often glass or ceramic, that is used to grind material against the...
- Mortar and Pestle. Quick, Susie // Organic Style;Nov2004, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p50
Provides information on mortar and pestle.
- Cultural Mash-up. Linhares, Paul // Ceramics Monthly;Dec2010, Vol. 58 Issue 10, p50
In this article, the author discusses the making of designer mortar and pestle pieces. The author states that in the conventional mortar and pestle pieces, the pestle is smaller than the mortar to allow more material to be crushed but the pieces made by the author focuses on the curve of the...
- THE MORTAR AND PESTLE. Kahn, Howie // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Aug2005, Vol. 75 Issue 8, p52
Features several mortar and pestle implements in the U.S. Price of the mortar and pestle from the Conran Shop; Design of the mortar from Williams Sonoma Inc.; Distinct style of the mortar made of ceramics from Bowery Kitchens.
- Stone Tool Research at the End of the Millennium: Procurement and Technology. Odell, George H. // Journal of Archaeological Research;Dec2000, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p269
The literature of stone tool procurement and technology published in the past decade is reviewed in this article. The presentation attempts to be geographically comprehensive but, because of where it was written, it provides fuller coverage of New World publications, particularly those from...