- Harnessing the power of radioactivity. Robertson, Naomi // Young Scientists Journal;Jan-Jul2011, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p10
The article discusses the significance of radioactivity. It mentions that radioactivity produces energy that is important in industry and the military, citing the work by scientist Henri Becquerel on the properties of uranium salts in which the findings became the foundations of future research...
- Henri Becquerel. Rich, Alex K. // Henri Becquerel;7/1/2006, p1
Background information on French physicist and Nobel laureate Henri Becquerel is presented. The author reviews how Becquerel discovered the source of energy known as radioactivity. According to the author, his discovery left many mysteries to be solved, but opened up a new area of inquiry, which...
- The discovery of radioactivity. Badash, Lawrence // Physics Today;Feb96, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p21
Focuses on the discovery of radioactivity by Antoine Henri Becquerel in 1896. Life of Becquerel; Becquerel as an expert on uranium phosphorescence; Use of photographic tools; Discovery as process rather than event.
- Meeting the sleeping genie. Raman, Varadaraja V. // World & I;Jun96, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p168
Profiles the French scientist Henri Becquerel, who discovered radioactivity. Lineage of physicists; Education; Later positions; Research undertaken; Scientific context and significance of Becquerel's discovery; Winning of a Nobel Prize.
- The Window of Opportunity: Logic and Chance in Becquerel's Discovery of Radioactivity. Kipnis, Nahum S. // Physics in Perspective;2000, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p63
The discovery of radioactivity by Henri Becquerel is frequently called serendipitous, because on March 1, 1896, he developed "unexposed" photographic plates, which he had kept near a uranium salt, and found dark images on them. I show that Becquerel's discovery was a process in which, even in...
- What's logic got to do with it? Chown, Marcus // New Scientist;7/27/96, Vol. 151 Issue 2040, p40
Focuses on the accidental discovery of radioactivity by French chemist Henri Becquerel. Details of the experiment conducted; Characteristics of the radioactivity he discovered; Other scientific discoveries by faulty chain of logic; Big bang theory of physicist George Gamow.
- Marie Curie: In the Laboratory and on the Battlefield. Badash, Lawrence // Physics Today;
Provides information on the contribution of physicist Marie Curie and Henri Becquerel to the medical use of x-rays. Background on the discovery of x-ray by Wilhelm Conrad Röentgen; Information on the experiment of Becquerel on radioactivity; Discoveries of Marie and Pierre Curie in chemistry...
- A Parisian Walk along the Landmarks of the Discovery of Radioactivity. Gablot, Ginette // Physics in Perspective;2000, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p100
- What medicine owes to science. Farham, Bridget // CME: Continuing Medical Education;Aug2013, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p277
The author informs that the issue of the magazine is about nuclear medicine. She traces the history of radioactivity, discovered by the French physicist Henri Becquerel in 1896, and informs that the early researchers did not realise that radioactivity and radiation were dangerous. The author...