- Bound for freedom. Mallory, Maria // U.S. News & World Report;04/14/97, Vol. 122 Issue 14, p78
Tells what the author saw and experienced while retracing the 650-mile Underground Railroad route through the United States to Canada. Harriet Tubman's birthplace in Maryland as the starting point; Efforts in the 1990s to preserve the landmarks of the railroad; Use of the book `Hippocrene Guide...
- 150 Year-Old Secrets: Ohio's Legacy of the Underground Railroad. Rodriguez, Zina L. // New Crisis (15591603);Jul/Aug99, Vol. 106 Issue 4, p34
Probes into the historical significance of the Underground Railroad in Ohio. Details on the railroad's construction; History of slavery in Ohio; Passage of the Underground Railroad Network for Freedom Act.
- San Fran Subway TBMs Digging In. Aragon, Greg // ENR: Engineering News-Record;9/9/2013, Vol. 271 Issue 10, p17
The article focuses on the Central Subway Project in San Francisco, California, a 1.5 billion U.S. dollars underground rail project tunneling 100 feet below a busy city which started its major subterranean excavation in August 2013.
- Network of Freedom site honored. // Illinois Heritage;Jul/Aug2012, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p36
The article reports that the Sheldon Peck Homestead historic site received the Illinois State Historical Society (ISHS) Certificate of Excellence award for its work in having the site designated by the U.S. National Parks Service for its association with the Underground Railroad.
- Routes to Freedom. Allen, Debra // Link-Up;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p22
Features online information resources about the Underground Railroad anti-slavery movement. Profile of leaders of the movement; Details on the routes used by the movement; Question on the method used by slaves in discovering places for their freedom.
- RAILROAD CROSSING. Feisel, Ken // dig;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p14
Presents a crossword puzzle whose answers relate to the Underground Railroad. Additional hidden word game.
- UNDER THE RUG. Feisel, Ken // dig;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p15
Presents a puzzle in which the player must find a hidden trapdoor in a floor plan of a typical house along the Underground Railroad route in the U.S. Hidden position of the trapdoor under a rug.
- Kids Uncover Forgotten Past. // Nebraska Life;Jul/Aug2012, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p46
The article reports that a social studies class at the Arlington High School has helped add three Underground Railroad-related sites in Nebraska to the Network to Freedom of the National Park Service.
- Slaves quest for freedom ends at Oakdale Cemetery. // South Florida Times;10/16/2014, Vol. 24 Issue 42, p2A
The article reports that the Oakdale Memorial Gardens in Davenport, Iowa has been listed on a U.S. National Park Service registry of sites connected with the Underground Railroad, an anti-slavery movement which helped many slaves escape to freedom, announced in October 2014.
- DEAR BROTHER TAPPAN: MISSIONARIES IN EGYPT AND THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD IN THE SHAWNEE HILLS OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS. Devenport, Vickie; McCorvie, Mary R. // Illinois Antiquity;Sep2005, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p20
Looks at the relationship between the people and the community of Miller Grove, and the underground railroad in southern Illinois. Role of missionaries who came to southern Illinois; Formation of the American Missionary Association; Difficulties faced by African American pioneers in the area.