Helping Clients Help Their Children Become Financially Literate
- College Students' Credit Card Debt and the Role of Parental Involvement: Implications for Public Policy. Palmer, Todd Starr; Pinto, Mary Beth; Parente, Diane H. // Journal of Public Policy & Marketing;Spring2001, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p105
Federal legislation has been proposed that would require parents/guardians to act as co-obligors on college students' credit card applications. This study supports the assumptions underlying the proposed legislation, suggesting that students whose parents are involved in their acquisition of...
- How to Handle Your Money. Watters, Jon // Campus Life;Dec2002, Vol. 61 Issue 5, p56
Presents information about the reliability of credit cards, methods to check accounts and debit cards and suggestions to students about day- to-day money handling to avoid financial problems. Comparison of debit cards with credit cards; Significance of maintaining bank records to check...
- Students and Credit Cards. Smith, Frances B. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Aug99, Vol. 82 Issue 8, p34
Focuses on the practice of card companies' offering college students credit cards in the United States. Risks and benefits of credit cards; Factors that can help prepare young adults to use credit responsibly.
- A little plastic goes a long way. // Career World;Feb98, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p2
Reports on the targeting of first-time college students in the United States by credit card companies. Indepth look at a scenario; Information on the interest rate of most credit cards; Details on some tips to avoid the temptation of the cards.
- How to teach your kids the right way to use credit. Harris, Marlys // Money;Nov96, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p45
Discusses the increasing popularity of credit-card use among college students. Advice to parents on how they can help their children learn responsible use of credit; The laying down of guidelines; Practicing with a card.
- PREDICTING THE NUMBER OF CREDIT CARDS HELD BY COLLEGE STUDENTS. Bijou Yang; Lester, David // Psychological Reports;Dec2001, Vol. 89 Issue 3, p667
Predicts the number of credit cards held by college students. Measurement of obsessive and retentive attitudes toward money; Tactic for gaining power; Attitude of students toward credit cards.
- Co-ed credit crunch. Pedone, Rose-Robin // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);04/30/99, Vol. 46 Issue 18, p5A
Focuses on the growing problem of delinquent credit among college students in the United States. Young credit card holders' lack of knowledge about money matters as the main reason why many of them end up with huge debts; Need to educate teenagers about the benefits and pitfalls of owning a...
- Are College Students Ready for Credit Cards? // USA Today Magazine;Aug2000, Vol. 129 Issue 2663, p9
Presents some tips to parents in assisting their college offspring in the most appropriate use of credit cards during their school years. Importance of educating them about credit cards; Purpose of keeping just one card; Advice in selecting a card.
- Keeping college student credit card debt under control. // Journal of Business (10756124);11/8/2007, Vol. 22 Issue 23, pB11
The article highlights a study by Buffalo State College researchers which showed that college students in the United States struggle with credit card debt. According to the study, a general lack of financial literacy is the primary reason for the trouble. The study also revealed that age, year...