USDA boosts salsa issue
- USDA defends salsa on school lunch menu boards. // FoodService Director;08/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p28
Focuses on the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) arguments to defend its decision authorizing school foodservice professionals to serve salsa as a vegetable in meals provided to children under the federally subsidized school lunch program. Comparison of the USDA's decision with...
- Chili today, hot tamale. Elvin, John // Insight on the News;06/29/98, Vol. 14 Issue 24, p34
Reports that salsa was declared a vegetable by the United States Department of Agriculture. Reason for the decision of the department; Previous efforts to declare tomato ketchup a vegetable.
- In Like a Lamb. Feagin, Judy // Yankee;Apr2004, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p93
Presents information on lamb chops. Temperature suggested by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for cooking lamb; Recipe for Pan-Roasted Lamb Chops With Couscous and Fresh Apple-Mint Salsa; Tips on buying lamb chops.
- Free facts for small tracts. Damsker, Matt // Organic Gardening (08973792);May/Jun92, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p18
Looks at the US Department of Agriculture's Office for Small Scale Agriculture (OSSA). Focus on small and part-time farming operations; Free fact sheets; Information on planting, varieties, marketing, and more; Detailed how-to sheets; Gives office address; More.
- Sustainable success stories. Lang, Cheryl // Organic Gardening (08973792);Dec94, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p18
Reports on sustainable agriculture demonstrations at the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Agricultural Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland. Use of little or no pesticides for growing crops; Corn growing in compost; Profits per acre.
- New USDA plant hardiness zone map. // Horticulture;Jun90, Vol. 68 Issue 6, p12
Discusses the United States Department of Agriculture's new version of the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map. Explains various additions to the map; Tells how to order it.
- USDA scholarship fund gives colleges $2.8 mil. // Jet;11/23/92, Vol. 83 Issue 5, p23
Announces that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has established a $2.8 million scholarship fund for students at 17 historically black land-grant colleges and universities. Comments from Agriculture Secretary Ed Madigan; Four-year National Scholars Program; Program devoted to study...
- The cost of deregulation. // Nutrition Action Health Letter;May92, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p3
Criticizes the decision of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) to delay for one year the deadline for new meat and poultry label. The USDA's claim that the delay would save meat and poultry producers $210 million; The $690 million which the delay will cost consumers; The Administration's...
- U.S. department of meat? // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Jun93, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p3
Criticizes the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). No publication from the USDA regarding benefits of vegetarianism; Letter to Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy; Request for publication of pamphlets, posters, videotapes and other materials on vegetarian diets.