- READERS' FORUM. Dover, Arthur S.; Schuman, Andrew J.; Yates Jr., H. Taylor; Dave, Amar; Gabe, Diane; Lytrivi, Irene D.; Curi, Michael; Hodge, Julie; Ente, Gerald // Contemporary Pediatrics;Nov2001, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p21
Deals with several health issues as of November 2001. Importance of Hepatitis B vaccine; How to choose nutritional supplements; Example of a child's ability to learn different languages.
- Should You Continue Taking Antioxidant Supplements? // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Jun2000, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p1
Presents information on the results of some studies on the health aspects of taking antioxidant supplement. Effect of supplements on heart disease and cancer treatment; Recommended dietary allowances for antioxidants; Positive effects of antioxidants; Role of antioxidants in health promotion.
- Health notes. // Body Bulletin;Mar2000, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p3
Provides health information including vitamin supplements, sleep, backpack use and signs of food-borne illness.
- Broccoli in gummi candies? // Current Health 2;Nov98, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p2
Reports on the emergence of nutritionally enhanced foods called `nutraceuticals,' to which supplements are added to boost their nutritional value. Types of nutraceuticals that have hit the market; Experts' concern about the health value of the nutraceuticals.
- The TRUTH About Diet Supplements. Chapman, Jen // Current Health 2;Nov2006, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p16
The article warns teenagers about taking diet supplements.
- Ginseng fails to perform as promised. // Environmental Nutrition;Dec97, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p8
Evaluates the health effects of Panax (P.) ginseng C.A. Meyer. Findings of a study on young men who took P. ginseng; Effect of P. ginseng on aerobic capacity, oxygen consumption and heart rate.
- Can New LC1 Probiotic Deliver Good Health? // Environmental Nutrition;Aug2000, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p3
Analyzes the health effects of Nestle's LC, a powdered form of the friendly bacteria Lactobacillus Johnsonii.
- Barking up the wrong tree. Geraci, Ron; Swierczynski, Duane // Men's Health;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p49
Evaluates the `super-antioxidant' drug, Pycnogenol. Effects of the drug to the body; Type of extracts the drug is made of; Comment of Richard Passwater, the director of research at the Solgar Nutritional Research Center, about the effectivity of the drug; Comment of Kristine Clark, the director...
- Foods that feed your muscles. Remy, Mark // Men's Health;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p86
Suggests a dietary meal plan developed by sport nutritionist Susan Kundrat of the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. Ideal diet for persons who do workouts; List of foods to be eaten during precise times of the day; Nutritional contents and effects of the foods. INSET: Undercover protein..
- DHEA. D.S. // Nutrition Action Health Letter;May98, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p9
Discloses that two trials testing dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in humans found no significant health benefits. Growing media hype on the benefits of DHEA; Methodology and results of each of the two trials; University of California endocrinologist Samuel Yen's warning on the use of...