Heavy rains damage California crops
- Billions of dollars and millions of people shouldn't be considered small potatoes. Wade, Mike // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;7/30/2001, Issue 322805, p27
Reacts to a report that several economists speaking at the University California-Los Angeles Anderson Forecast completely discounted or ignored the role the agriculture industry plays in California's economy. Farm gate value of agriculture; Importance of agriculture in farming communities...
- Do we really want to import all our food from overseas? Betancourt, Paul // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;5/10/2002, Issue 322927, p11
Reports the economic importance of farming in California. Ratio of job dependence on agricultural production; Reasons for the protection of farming; Importance of farm policy for sustenance of food production.
- Shrinking farmland affects California farmers and $28.8 billion economy. Oken, Doreen // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;03/13/2000, Issue 322589, p1
Reports on the decrease in agricultural land in California during the years 1940 to 1997. Impact on the state's agricultural industries; California as the largest agricultural producer in the United States.
- Poverty Amid Prosperity: Farm Employment, Immigration, and Poverty in California. MARTIN, PHILIP L.; TAYLOR, J. EDWARD // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Dec1998, Vol. 80 Issue 5, p1008
Describes the changes occurring in cities in the agricultural areas of California to which immigrants are flocking. Examination of the effects of 1996 immigration and welfare changes; Description of a model that illustrates the circle among farm employment, immigration, and poverty and welfare;...
- Reflections in the Flames. Peifer, Tom // Annals of Earth;2009, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p14
The article presents a reprint of the article "Reflections in the Flames," by Tom Peifer, which appeared in "The Howler." It examines the impact of the fires in southern California in October 2008. It also looks into the condition of the Californians, including their life style, career decisions...
- Yes, a practical solution should be found. Ramdas, Rameysh // India Currents;Mar2014, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p6
The article focuses on the weak agricultural economy in California in 2014. Topics discussed include California being the 12th largest economy in the world, producing nearly 50 percent of the U.S.'s fruits, nuts, vegetables and dairy, and the lack of the lack of adequate rainfall from past three...
- California agriculture ready for another good year in 2012. Cline, Harry // Western Farm Press;3/17/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p14
The article focuses on the economic forecast for the agricultural industry in California in 2012. Rabobank's vice president and agricultural economist Vernon Crowder mentions that he was optimistic that the agricultural economies in California are brighter as 2011. It states that California is...
- Lee Murphy on California's business and production issues. Kuack, David // GMPRO - Greenhouse Management & Production;May2004, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p50
Interviews Lee Murphy, president and CEO of the California Cut Flower Commission, on issues concerning business and production in California. Information on the biggest issues that will be faced by California growers; Effect of the passage of the AgJOBS legislation on labor issues in the state;...
- The Road Ahead. // Orange County Business Journal;1/5/2004, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p27
Presents insights about the economic condition of California.