A new FSD survey indicates that 66% of all operators predict growth of catering sales this year
- Pick Me Up. // FoodService Director;4/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p54
An interview with Grant Morrison, foodservice area manager at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, is presented. He offers information on the school's Moveable Feasts catering program which was created to give customers an alternative to the university's larger catering department. Morrison...
- Higher uptake will improve school meals. Bill, Tom // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;10/19/2006, Vol. 196 Issue 4447, p31
This article reports that higher uptake, not cash, is the key to achieving a sustainable school meals service in England, according to School Food Trust chief executive Judy Hargadon. Speaking to Caterer at a conference in Earls Court, London, Hargadon said economies of scale meant meals would...
- Fighting the Brown Bag. Ramsey, Linsey // FoodService Director;11/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p36
The article offers information on the initiatives launched by Turlock Unified School District food service director Scott Soiseth aimed to encourage children to buy lunch at school. To make the sale for his rebranded nutrition program called RealFresh, Soiseth has expanded the menu to include...
- Capitalizing on a la carte dollars. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar1998, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p30
Focuses on strategies which school foodservice directors (FSD) are devising to enable them to protect their nutritional and educational credibility, while reaping the financial benefits of a la carte programs. Problems experience from a la carte lines; Views of Mary Andersen, a FSD; Information...
- Quality control is now by the book. // Food Management;Apr98, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p20
Presents information on the manual `Quality Measures for Georgia's School Nutrition Program,' which can be used to provide school foodservice directors in Georgia with information on how to improve efficiencies and service. Comments from Annette Bomar, director of the school and community...
- Child protection madness takes the biscuit. // Education (14637073);10/15/2010, Issue 407, p3
The article discusses St. Mary's Primary School in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland where a catering supervisor was dismissed from her job after she gave a child a cookie and was accused of "child grooming" under the Child Protection Act.
- Small Soldiers and Better Food. Wright, Jr., Fred W. // Mother Earth News;Feb/Mar2000, Issue 178, p13
Highlights the decision of the Berkeley United School District to require schools in Berkeley, California to provide students with pesticide-free, herbicide-free and hormone-free foods. Details on the implementation of the decision; Challenges faced by Berkeley's organic foods project; Opinion...
- VT Names New Sustainability Coordinator. // FoodService Director;12/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p8
The article announces that Dining Services at 30,000-student Virginia Tech has named Andy Sarjajhani as dining services' sustainability coordinator.
- Child nutrition programs differ, challenges similar, forum concludes. // Nation's Restaurant News;8/12/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 32, p18
Discusses the 4th annual Global Child Nutrition Forum held in Minneapolis, Minnesota on August 2002. Objective of the forum; Challenges facing school food service directors; Countries that participated in the forum.