Louisiana Mulls $624M Tobacco Deal
- Va. Legislature OKs Settlement Amendments. // Best's Review / Life-Health Insurance Edition;May99, Vol. 100 Issue 1, p14
Reports the ratification of an amended legislative bill in Virginia on structured settlements. Background information on structured settlements; Impact of the bill.
- Alliance, NSSTA Welcome Passage By Congress Of Act To Protect Structured Settlements. // Insurance Advocate;01/07/2002, Vol. 113 Issue 1, p7
Reports on the passage of a legislative act on structured settlement transfers by the United States Congress in January 2002. Role of the Alliance and National Structured Settlement Trade Association in the passage of the act; Tax penalty on transferees of structured settlements which are not...
- Periodic payments: well judged? // MarketWatch: Global Round-up;Jun2005, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p122
The article features the 2003 Courts Act in Great Britain. This amendment gave British courts the authority to consider the appropriateness of structured settlements on larger liability claims, including those who are seriously injured through the fault or negligence of a third party and...
- Equitas to pay U.S. manufacturer Crane $33 million to settle asbestos, other claims. Hofmann, Mark A. // Business Insurance;8/1/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 31, p29
Reports on the settlement to be paid by Equitas Ltd. to Crane Co. for the liability claims against the company. Details of the agreement; Effect of the possible enactment of U.S. asbestos liability reform law on the deal.
- Michigan House Gets Bill To Protect Interests Of Recipients Of Structured Settlement Awards. // Insurance Advocate;11/13/99, Vol. 110 Issue 45, p20
Reports that a bill designed for protecting consumers on the sale of structured settlements has been introduced in the Michigan House of Representatives. Mandates of the bill; Remarks from Bill Schroeder, vice president of the Alliance of American Insurers; Stand of the Alliance of American...
- Time To Fish Or Cut Bait On Asbestos Reform Bill. Postal, Arthur // National Underwriter / P&C;8/9/2004, Vol. 108 Issue 30, p7
Looks into a legislative bill that would create alternative settlement mechanisms for asbestos claims in the U.S. Issue of how much money industry players and insurers must contribute in the short term to the trust fund that would be established to pay claims; Matter of new claims filed in...
- Q4 loss for Gemstar. Fritz, Ben // Daily Variety;3/3/2004, Vol. 282 Issue 48, p8
Reports on the financial performance of Gemstar-TV Guide International Inc. for 2003 in the U.S. Cost of the litigation settlement by the company with EchoStar; Net loss of the company; Terms of the settlement between the two companies.
- Asbestos reform supporters regrouping. Hofmann, Mark A. // Business Insurance;2/20/2006, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p1
This article reports that the U.S. Senate's delay in considering a bill that would create a no-fault trust fund to compensate victims of asbestos-related disease should not end efforts to reform the asbestos liability system, according to both supporters and opponents of the trust fund idea as...
- NEWSWATCH. // SN: Supermarket News;6/2/2008, Vol. 56 Issue 22, p8
The article presents news items related to the retail industry in the U.S. Bodega Latina Corp. will purchase Gigante USA's seven Southern California stores. Dollar Tree reported a net income improvement of 14.4% in the first quarter of 2008. Supervalu Inc. has agreed to pay $15 million to settle...