Independent Booksellers Praise Upcoming Lists, But Say Sales Slump Won't End Until The Economy Improves
- The Science of the Sleeper. Gladwell, Malcolm // New Yorker;10/04/99, Vol. 75 Issue 29, p48
Examines the impact of collaborative filtering, a system that sifts through the opinions and preferences of book readers based on bookstores' sales. Success stories of several best-selling authors; Difference from those encountered on Amazon.com or Barnesnoble.com; Benefits and drawbacks of...
- The benefits of cross-promotion. Anderson, Kare // Quill & Quire;Jun97, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p32
Presents guidelines to help booksellers attract more customers by sharing resources with other successful companies and by building community support. Benefits of encouraging more book sales with free gifts; Measures to encourage bookstore customers to buy more books; Ways to start the...
- The world loves a bargain. Goddard, Connie // Publishers Weekly;8/22/1994, Vol. 241 Issue 34, Bargain Books pS18
Discusses matters pertinent to the global bargain books industry. Increasing popularity of English-language bargain books or remainders in Europe and Asia; Impact of retail price maintenance agreements in certain countries on the industry. INSET: Looking forward to Ciana (book fair in London,...
- Bookselling in Hong Kong. Taylor, Sally // Publishers Weekly;4/3/2000, Vol. 247 Issue 14, p30
Provides information on booksellers and bookselling in Hongkong, China. Concept of Page One bookstore; Expansion of Australian chain Dymocks in Hongkong; Preference of Hongkong buyers.
- Bringing in British books: Trafalgar Square. J. F. B. // Publishers Weekly;3/9/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 10, pS24
Focuses on Trafalgar Square, the principal importer and distributor of finished British books in the United States. Headquarters that are on a working farm in North Pomfret, Vermont; Its function as a full-service publisher; Rivals in the field, London Bridge, General Publishing and Seven...
- Trade. Toller, Caroll; Peryman, Lisa // Quill & Quire;Jan1998, Vol. 64 Issue 1, p12
Reports on the developments in the book publishing and distribution industry in North America, as of January 1998. Closure of Toronto, Ontario-based independent book retailer Book Cellar Yorkville; Financial performance of Canadian book retailer Chapters for its second quarter ending September...
- Five Things You Can Do. Howell, Kevin // Publishers Weekly;8/12/2002, Vol. 249 Issue 32, p148
Offers tips on cooperative bookselling. Significance of a newsletter to bookselling; Technique in identifying marketing strengths.
- bookseller seeks author: GETTING YOUR BOOK ON MY SHELVES. Norcross, Matthew // ForeWord Reviews;Fall2013, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p14
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of being a bookseller.
- Reading difficulties. Cope, Nigel // Management Today;Oct98, p62
Reports on the difficulties being encountered by book retailers in Great Britain. Impact of the invasion of big Great Britain booksellers; Competition with supermarkets which charge rock bottom prices; Niches being carved out by major players; Threat of `virtual retailers'; Increased capital...