Chicago Shelves Casino Dreams Following Governor's Veto Vow
- Let Texans make up their own minds about gambling. Carona, John; Ellis, Rodney // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);4/4/2007, Vol. 21 Issue 14, p12
The article focuses on the Carona-Ellis Plan, the legislation that would give Texans the right to decide whether to allow destination resort casinos in the state.
- Conyers, Dingell gaming dispute to be settled on House floor. Crabtree, Susan // Hill;6/20/2008, Vol. 15 Issue 73, p6
The article reports on the two bill being compared and contrast by Judiciary committee Chairman John Conyers Jr. and Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman John Dingel which will settle tribal dispute over a land and allows two casinos to build near Detroit, Michigan.
- Detroit needs a better deal from casinos. Crain, Keith // Crain's Detroit Business;1/31/2005, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p8
The article presents information on casinos in Detroit, Michigan. MGM Grand Detroit Casino and the MotorCity Casino are two famous casinos in Detroit. The newest entry in the casino lottery seems more than willing to build an addition to Cobo Center. It also would put a money-making casino right...
- Mississippi Senate OKs Bill Allowing Casinos to Rebuild on Land. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;10/5/2005, Vol. 354 Issue 32232, p36
Reports on the approval of the Mississippi Senate on the House Bill 45 which enable casinos in the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast to rebuild on land. Impact of the legislation on the Gulf Coast; Reason of the need for casino operators to rebuild on land; Basis of the Senate action on the casino bill.
- Lawmakers weighing plan to bring casinos to Indonesian islands. // International Gaming & Wagering;Jun2008, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p8
The article reports on the controversy over the bill that would legalize a gambling zone in Lagol tourist area in Bintan, Riau Province, Indonesia which was now passed to the Bintan Legislative Council. Accordingly, the bill is part of the U.S.$3.1 million project of Malaysian Landmarks and will...
- Duma considering new legislation to tighten licensing and regulations and shrink Russia's gambling industry. Rutherford, James // International Gaming & Wagering;Apr2006, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p6
Reports on several bills being considered by Russia's State Duma to raise entry standards and tighten restriction in an effort to rein in the country's runaway machine gambling industry. Key provisions of the legislative package; Comments from Valery Draganov of the Duma's Economic Policies,...
- Handicapping Emerging State Markets -- How about the WEB. Balestra, Mark // Casino Journal;Oct2009, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p30
The article focuses on the condition of the Internet gaming in the U.S. It notes that Internet was once prohibited by the government through Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA). It cites the regulatory movement cited in the industry which resulted to the legislation of Internet...
- Norway moving toward prohibition along U.S. lines. // International Gaming & Wagering;Nov2007, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p24
This article reports that Norway is writing a legislation that will ban online gambling in the country. The Ministry of Culture and Church Affairs announced that online gambling is already illegal under Norwegian law but the new legislation is needed to enforce it by prohibiting banks from...
- Senate Pushes Again for Pendleton Casino. ALI, ANN // State Journal (WV);4/5/2013, Vol. 29 Issue 14, p7
The article offers information on legislative bills related to gaming industry of West Virginia and discusses efforts made by various senators of the state in the enactment of a law related to casinos and resorts of the state.