Texas Comptroller Places Fiscal Onus on Legislature
- Fiscal Uncertainty. Galley, Michelle // Education Week;6/9/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 39, p20
Texas state officials are pointing fingers at each other over a budget shortfall that could leave students using 8-year-old textbooks. It all started when the State Board of Education was pinning the budget mess on state Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, a Republican. On May 7, the 15-member...
- Texas Governor Sees Budget Deadline Where Comptroller Sees a 'Myth'. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/18/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31659, p32
Texas governor Rick Perry said on June 16, 2003 that the 118 billion dollar two-year budget bill approved in the month by lawmakers will expire if he does not receive a certified copy of the budget from comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn by June 22, 2003. Perry's announcement comes soon after a...
- Lawmakers in Texas, Colorado Gear Up for Tough Sessions. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/11/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32047, p3
The article informs that lawmakers from Colorado and Texas convene this week for legilative sessions that would be rife with budget issues because of legislative restrictions about revenue and spending in Colorado and limited revenue for school finance in Texas. It informs that Texas Comptroller...
- Ventura Wrestles With Minnesota Legislators in Budget Battle. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/13/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31448, p3
Reports the budget deficits in Minnesota. Failure of the state to adopt a budget repair bill; Division between the Democrat-controlled Senate and a Republican-controlled House; Concerns of the lawmaker for reelection.
- Battles royal. Russell, Vivienne // Public Finance;11/20/2009, p4
The article discusses the author's views about the aspiration of the British government to reduce deficit by 2014 and balance the books by a target date of 2018 as contained in a Fiscal Responsibility Bill in Great Britain.
- SOUTHEAST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;11/14/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31513, p31
Presents several news related to bond market in the U.S. as of November 14, 2002. Budget deficit faced by Republican Governor-elect Sonny Perdue of Georgia; Assignment of rating to Northern Kentucky Water District's refunding revenue bonds by Moody's Investors Service; Virginia's rank in using...
- Book Fund Deficit. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/25/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31891, p31
Reports that Texas has a $67 million budget deficit for textbooks, according to Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Miscalculation by the state legislature and transportation budget officials of the revenue that would be generated by a new tax law.
- The Briefs. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;12/20/2002, Issue 323023, p4
Reports developments in California as of December 2002. Presentation of the Conrad Hilton Distinguished Entrepreneur Award to businessman Clete Harper and Terry Hill; Combination of foods for cholesterol reduction; Formulation of legislation addressing the budget crisis.
- State fiscal crisis buried key brownfield measure. Lieber, Tammy // Indianapolis Business Journal;3/31/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p10A
Reports that companies and investors are wary about redeveloping Indiana's brownfield sites. Concerns about lingering liability; Effect of the state's budget deficit; Senate bills which aim to make it more feasible to clean up and reuse brownfield sites. INSET: Brownfields corp wilts..