Book Retailers Reveal Dismal First Quarter Results
- RETREATING ADVANCES? Rowe, Dan // Quill & Quire;Jan/Feb2009, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p18
The article presents a perspective on the impact of global recession to the publishing industries in the U.S. and in Canada. It states that the worst predictions on the said recession have shown parallels to the great depression, but in the case of the Canadian publishing industry, the recession...
- Fare for hard times. Hayes, J.L. // Country Living;Mar1989, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p113
Tells how families coped in the kitchen during the Great Depression and wartime. Photos; Text; Recipes.
- American banks during the Great Depression: A new research agenda. Mason, Joseph R. // Review (00149187);May/Jun98, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p151
Presents information on a project entitled `Assistance to Banks During the Great Depression'. Two data-encoding endeavors of the project; Various literatures from which the contents of the project were taken.
- The great depression. Whitford, E. // Scholastic Update;2/10/89, Vol. 121 Issue 10, p16
Describes America's biggest bout with homelessness, the Great Depression of the 1930s. Stock market crash; President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's response with `New Deal' government programs; Jobs provided by World War II. INSET: Shifting views..
- Preparing for the future wins converts. Zavala, Ann // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p73
Presents an anecdote about stocking food in preparation for an economic depression. Canning of food; Storage of essential and favorite food items; Purchase of a year's supply of canned cat food.
- Great Depression uplifting time. Spitzenberger, Ray // East Bernard Express (TX);3/27/2008, Vol. 65 Issue 13, p4
The article focuses on the problem concerning great depression of the economy in the U.S.
- What color is your recession? Brockway, G.P. // New Leader;10/1/90-10/15/90, Vol. 73 Issue 13, p17
Surveys several theories about what exactly determines a recession. Why the Federal Reserve Board should not delay taking action; Importance of recognizing the threat of recession and acting to avoid its negative impact on individuals.
- The Five Stages of Publishing. Simmons, Matthew // Publishers Weekly;2/22/2010, Vol. 257 Issue 8, p27
The author expresses the sentiments of writers who experience rejection from publishers in the context of the five stages of publishing. At the stage of anger towards the rejection, the author may claim that the whole publishing system is corrupt. During the bargaining stage, the author may...
- CORRESPONDENCE. Prather, Thomas J.; Marini, Myra; Eliot, Thomas D.; Young, A. A.; League, T. J.; Knopp, Alfred A. // New Republic;1/6/32, Vol. 69 Issue 892, p218
Presents several letters to the editor referencing previously published articles and current socio-political issues. Criticism of views regarding laws of extradition expressed in the editorial, entitled "Toothpicks," published in the November 25 issue; Comments on a letter to the editor and its...