Dealing With 'Brutal' Shortfalls, Davis Readies California Revision
- Wanted: A Governor with Integrity. Scarry, Donald M. // njbiz;11/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 46, p10
Presents views on the qualities of a governor needed by New Jersey. Importance of integrity in a governor; Strategies offered by Republican and Democrat governors to manage the state budget; Overview of the tax increase that would benefit people of New Jersey.
- Read Their Lips, Too. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;11/11/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31510, p1
Focuses on the budget deficits in New England and the choice made by voters in the governor's election on the basis of anti-tax pledges made by them in the budget planning for the year 2003. Anti-taxation measures provided by the elected governor of Massachusetts, Republican Mitt Romney; Views...
- Tough Times, Tough Choices. Baker, Charles D. // BusinessWest;10/16/2006, Vol. 23 Issue 13, p12
The article focuses on the Taxpayers Foundation's report on the Commonwealth's fiscal condition. The report states that the fiscal 2006 budget surplus of 400 million dollars has already been spent. The fiscal 2007 budget is out of balance by about 500 million dollars. The challenges that would...
- State budget plan draws fire. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;2/16/2009, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p3
The article presents information on a budget proposed by Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm. The budget proposal included $670 million in spending reductions and reforms and $230 million in revenue-producing measures, raising the tax on tobacco products other than cigarettes, increased liquor...
- Cruz Bustamente's Budget Bomb. Hollon, John // San Diego Business Journal;8/25/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 34, p46
Editorial. Comments on the budget plan proposed by Lieutenant Governor Cruz Bustamante in California. Amount of increase in taxes and fees; Reassessment of commercial properties at a higher property tax rate; Budget cuts for the city. INSET: LEGACY.
- Kentucky Budget Fight Delays Bond Sales, Stirs Old Credit Concerns. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;4/23/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31869, p34
Focuses on the plan of newly elected Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher to modernize the tax system of the state. Impact of the proposal to lawmakers failing to adopt a budget for the 2004-2006 biennium; Implication for disagreement over campaign funding; Sale of appropriation-backed debt.
- R.I. Governor Pushes Small Tax Hikes, Program Cuts in $2.9B Plan. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;2/27/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31830, p3
Reports that Rhode Island Governor Donald Carcieri has launched a fiscal budget that seeks to close a deficit through a small tax increases and program cuts while avoiding an increase in either income or property taxes. Amount of tobacco bonds issued in 2002; Proposal to increase cigarette...
- 'Cliff' Deal Answers a Few Questions for States. Malewitz, Jim // Government Financial Management TOPICS;1/7/2013, p11
The article focuses on the U.S. fiscal cliff. It highlights that the U.S. government averted the fiscal cliff which answered few questions of state governments though many remain unanswered. It mentions that state governors want the government to postpone tax increases and spending cuts, which...
- Barbour Proposes 2.4% Increase to Mississippi's Budget. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;12/16/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32031, p7
The article gives information about Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, who is recommending a 2.4% increase in the 2006 state budget. He said he would continue to implement government reform and streamlining measures while funding a $4.53 billion spending plan without raising taxes. Barbour...