Proposed Refunding Rules Released; Lawyers Voice Concern
- IRS lawyer clarifies waste ruling. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;05/04/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30633, p1
Reports that Bruce M. Serchuk, a lawyer with the Internal Revenue Service, has read a statement in an attempt to clarify confusion over how regulators view certain solid-waste recycling bond transactions. Confusion over the taxation of certain solid-waste recycling bonds; Technical advice...
- S corporations and IRC sec. 1244 stock. Colburn, Steven C. // CPA Journal;Aug94, Vol. 64 Issue 8, p48
Presents the tax treatment of Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 1244 stocks issued to S corporations. Requirements for stocks to qualify as IRC Section 1244 stocks; Loss treatment on IRC Section 1244 stock issued to shareholders of an S corporation; Tax Court's decision on the case `Virgil D....
- Tax-exempts gain focus. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;04/21/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30624, p1
Highlights a preliminary blueprint for the reorganization of the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) which would give more focus on tax-exempt bonds. Establishment of a tax-exempt operating division; Significant increase in the number of people and agents that would focus solely on bonds.
- IRS Gets a Private Letter. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;01/11/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31055, p1
Reports on the plans by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to launch the Tax-Exempt Advisory Committee to recommend changes to tax-exempt bond areas. Overhaul of the private-letter ruling process in tax exemptions; Basis of establishing the provisions for the exemptions according...
- Ex-IRS official urges appeal rights for issuers on questions of taxability. Resnick, Amy B.; Hume, Lynn Stevens // Bond Buyer;03/06/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30345, p1
Reports on former US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) insider Michael G. Bailey's proposal that municipal bond issuers should be allowed to appeal when the IRS determines their bonds are taxable. Legislative basis of Bailey's proposal; Bailey's advocacy for a legislation that enables the IRS to...
- IRS Sees Arbitrage Gain In Workout of Dirt Bonds. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;09/06/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30969, p1
Reports on the United States Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) issuance of a field service advice memo stating its refusal to tax-exempt bonds that are backed by Treasury securities. Intent of the IRS to crack down on unusual bond transactions that are inconsistent with revenue procedures; Cases...
- IRS sets June target to publish final issuer appeal rules. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;05/04/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30633, p4
Reports that the United States Internal Revenue Service plans to publish by June 1999 its final guidelines for issuer appeals of determinations that bonds are taxable. Comments on the proposed guidelines; Issuance of a technical advice memorandum that favors the IRS; How the bond appeals will work.
- Issuers' support wanes for IRS right of appeal provision. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;06/08/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30409, p1
Reports that bond issuers' support is decreasing for legislation designed to grant them the right to appeal an Internal Revenue Service determination when bonds are taxable in the United States. Description of the provisions contained in the House and Senate versions of the bill; Impact of the...
- IRS issues TAM on unearned premiums. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;06/09/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30410, p5
Reports on the US Internal Revenue Services' (IRS) ruling that bond insurance companies must claim any unearned premiums at the time the insured bonds are funded. Purpose of the technical advice memorandum; Comments on the impact on taxes for bond insurance companies and refunding decisions.