Product & process improvement because it's right
- COMMENT. // Engineer (00137758);4/12/2002, Vol. 291 Issue 7597, p3
Comments on the implications of the Three Day Car product to the automobile industry. Sponsors of the project; Components of a Three Day Car; Motivation of car makers for adopting the Three Day Car concept.
- Modular Rage. Slaughter, Jane // Multinational Monitor;Apr99, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p24
Looks at the modular manufacturing system being adopted by the automobile industry in the United States. Speculation on how modular manufacturing would change the industry's relations to the labor unions; How modular system was applied by a former General Motor executive to a Volkswagen plant...
- The productivity gap is closing. Harbour, Jim // Automotive Industries;Jul97, Vol. 177 Issue 7, p21
Opinion. Focuses on the narrowing labor productivity gap in vehicle assembly operations. Reference to the `1997 Harbour Report'; Performance of various companies in vehicle assembly operations; Details on Toyota Georgetown's performance in engine plant productivity.
- Production. Domby, Debi // Automotive News;1/27/2003, Vol. 77 Issue 6022, p48
Presents information related to productions in various automobile manufacturing units as of January 27, 2003. Statistics related to car and truck production in North America; Plant closings and plant overtime of several automobile companies; Production of Nissan Maxima car model by automobile...
- Lean Lessons. Vasilash, Gary S. // Automotive Manufacturing & Production;Mar2001, Vol. 113 Issue 3, p60
Provides information on the lean manufacturing in the North American automotive industry. Essence of lean manufacturing; Measures used for lean assessment; Reason for the shortage of lean operations. INSET: Second Wind.
- Operational improvements: How to build cars more effectively (Part I). Mercer, Glenn // Automotive Manufacturing & Production;Aug98, Vol. 110 Issue 8, p74
Part I. Presents recommendations on how automotive operations can be improved. Importance of paying attention to things that can be affected by plant management; Highlights of a first-hand study conducted by a consultant; Discussion on the importance of assembly productivity to automobile...
- Leaders are Responsible for Lean. Harbour, Ron // Automotive Industries;Dec2001, Vol. 181 Issue 12, p10
Offers views on the lean manufacturing strategy in the automobile industry. Why companies continue to adopt lean manufacturing programs and processes; Benefits of the process; Factors contributing to an effective lean manufacturing program.
- Carmakers to go back to DIY manufacturing. // Professional Engineering;06/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 12, p4
Discusses a plan by automobile manufacturers in Great Britain to start do-it-yourself (DIY) manufacturing. Reversal of trend towards outsourcing subassemblies; Possible growth in supplier base if automakers pursue DIY plan.
- The best is never good enough. Harbour, Ron // Automotive Industries;Oct2002, Vol. 182 Issue 10, p12
Explains the importance of improving manufacturing systems to the businesses of automobile manufacturers. Leaders in assembly productivity; Key to improving manufacturing productivity; Consequence of poor productivity.