Taming the E-mail Monster
- Regaining Control Over Information Technology. Goldsborough, Reid // Black Issues in Higher Education;6/2/2005, Vol. 22 Issue 8, p81
Offers advice for individuals on avoiding technostress, a stress caused by excessive use of technology. Significance of prioritizing tasks; Creation of filters in an e-mail program; Prevention of irrelevant links in Web searching.
- Gas Crisis Fuels Dubious Online Offers. Spring, Tom // PCWorld;Oct2008, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p18
The article discusses various online scams, resulted from surging gasoline prices. The author suggests to beware of web sites promising cheap gas, free gas, or savings of 60 percent at the pump, as according to experts, most of them are bogus, designed to collect personal information. With gas...
- NO SEX, PLEASE. // National Geographic;Jul2003, Vol. 204 Issue 1, p143
When illustrations editor at the publication 'National Geographic' began to assemble photographs for an article on sexual selection in animals, she sent electronic mails (e-mail) to some 250 photographers and photographic agencies around the world seeking their help. But a quarter of the mails...
- Spam technology seeks acceptance. Fontana, John // Network World;7/28/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 30, p21
Evaluates the e-mail filtering software Sieve. Design specification; Benefits and limitations.
- Reducing Spam. // Community Banker;Jul2007, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p13
The article offers some tips to reduce spam in businesses from the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team. Refrain from arbitrarily giving out electronic mail (e-mail) address to restaurants and other such companies. Check privacy policies before submitting e-mail addresses. Review default...
- NIGERIAN GOLD & VIAGRA. Evans, Mark // New Zealand Management;Nov2006, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p50
The article presents some ways to limit the amount of spam you get. Prevent spammers getting your email address in the first place. Never list your email address on your Web site. Use disposable email addresses. Set up a Gmail or Hotmail account and forward emails to your real account. Filter...
- Win the Spam War. Kissell, Joe; Engst, Adam C.; Seff, Jonathan; Breen, Christopher // Macworld;Oct2004, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p72
This article discusses the spam-fighting tools built into Apple Mail and Microsoft Entourage, popular e-mail clients for Mac OS X. Spam filters function as e-mail gatekeepers. Apple Mail and Microsoft Entourage both offer significantly better spam-fighting tools than their predecessors. They use...
- Make spammers pay. Allman, Eric // eWeek;11/10/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 45, p55
The article discusses Internet security and the threat of spam. Even e-mail marketers agree that it could make the e-mail medium effectively useless. The main problem with spam is economic: sending a message is nearly free, but receiving it costs money in the form of network bandwidth, disk...
- Spamjab claims 100% protection. // New Media Age;12/4/2003, p10
Introduces the Spamjab, a spam filter software for children, developed by e-mail researchers from Cambridge University, England. Compatibility of Spamjab with other software; Plan of the developer to patent the technology.