Grab 'em While They're Hot
- Which Mutual Fund Screens Are Worthwhile? Riepe, Mark W. // Journal of Financial Planning;Aug1999, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p42
Provides information on how to screen mutual funds. Three ways of deciding what variables to screen for; Pitfalls to avoid; Summary of an academic study on mutual funds; Findings of a study by the Schwab Center for Investment Research for Investment Managers clients of Schwab Institutional.
- What is the right number of funds? Ten -- maybe. Jaffe, Charles A. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);11/09/98, Vol. 19 Issue 19, p20
Offers advice on how to determine how many funds an investor should own. Composition of ten funds recommended by a Schwab Center for Investment Research's study; Considerations for index fund investor; Management of other asset classes.
- BlackRock. // Money (Australia Edition);Jun2008, Issue 102, p14
This article focuses on the Global Small Cap Fund. The primary aim of the fund is to maximise capital growth through a globally diversified portfolio of shares in quality small- and mid-capitalisation companies listed internationally. It is designed for investors who seek an international share...
- A comparison of single factor and multiple factor alphas used in measuring mutual fund performance. Betker, Brian; Sheehan, Joseph // Financial Services Review;Winter2013, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p349
We compare mutual fund alphas computed using single factor models commonly used by practitioners with the alphas computed using the multifactor models common in academic research. Although all methods seek to control for a fund's investing style, single-factor alphas exceed multifactor alphas by...
- Incentives and Mutual Fund Performance: Higher Performance or Just Higher Risk Taking? Massa, Massimo; Patgiri, Rajdeep // Review of Financial Studies;May2009, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p1777
We study the impact of contractual incentives on the performance of mutual funds. We find that high-incentive contracts induce managers to take more risk and reduce the funds' probability of survival. Yet, funds with high-incentive contracts deliver higher risk-adjusted return, and the superior...
- The Key to Fidelity's Small-Cap Puzzle. Davis, Christopher // Morningstar FundInvestor;Sep2012, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p8
The article offers information on the financial performance and journal's Analyst Rating of several small capitalization funds of fund company Fidelity Investments including Fidelity Small Cap Discovery, Fidelity Small Cap Value, and Fidelity Stock Selector Small Cap. It also mentions about the...
- Small caps beckon, then close. Halverson, Guy // Christian Science Monitor;10/23/97, Vol. 89 Issue 230, p9
Reports on the practice of fund managers of small capitalization funds to close their funds to new investors so as to better limit the amount of money to be managed. The limited number of small capitalization stocks; How they are performing in 1997; Backdoors to closed funds like the Oakmark...
- Minneapolis Eyes Small-Cap Equities. Collings, Richard // Investment Management Weekly;06/11/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 24, p2
Discusses the plan of the Minneapolis Teachers' Retirement Fund to consider a virgin allocation to small-capitalization equities.
- Beware the Dreaded Cap-Creep! Topkis, Maggie // Fortune;3/3/1997, Vol. 135 Issue 4, p193
Argues that small-capitalization funds in the United States may decline in performance as prosperity prompts them to move to larger stocks. The problem due to greed; Need to close such funds to new investors, in order to keep assets under control.