California State and Local Officials Wary of Budget Plan's Long-Term Success
- California's Davis Unveils $104 Billion Budget. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;01/12/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31056, p4
Reports that California Governor Gray Davis released his budget proposal for 2001. Total value of the budget proposed by Davis; Davis' allocation of a certain portion of the total budget to help resolve the state's energy crisis; Breakdown of the state budget unveiled by the governor.
- The Fleecing of California--Spend Now, Worry Later. Battin, Jim // San Diego Business Journal;7/2/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 27, p35
Comments on the defeat of the proposed 2001-2002 budget of California Governor Gray Davis in the state legislature. Reasons behind the defeat of the proposed budget; Objectionable features; Need for a bipartisan measure that will demonstrate fiscal responsibility.
- A memo to my wife. McClintock, Tom // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;6/27/2003, Issue 323105, p23
Criticizes California governor Gray Davis' handling of the state's budget through a mock memorandum supposedly sent by the author to his wife. Slashing of state budget; Postponement of payment of money owed to schools by the state; Cut in medicare spending; Tax increase; College fund; Use of...
- Calif. Colleges Dodge a Bullet in Final Budget. Fisher, Maria Jo // Community College Week;8/18/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p1
Reports on the signing of the 2003-2004 California's state budget by Governor Gray Davis and the budget reduction faced by community colleges in the state. Information on the proposed budget for the colleges; Requirements to colleges in 2003; Increase in students' fees by colleges.
- As Deficit Mounts, Davis Tries to Spare Schools. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;5/22/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 37, p20
Reports on the decision taken by Governor Gray Davis to revise budget plans for California in an attempt to protect schools from taxes while managing a budget deficit. Impact of Davis' refusal to suspend Proposition 98 on the concerns of educator; Effect of the budget proposal on...
- The Will of the People? Newman-Wagner, Vallerie // Lesbian News;Sep2003, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p31
On October 7, California voters will participate in a Republican-led effort to remove the state's Governor Gray Davis from office. This gubernatorial recall election will not only undermine last November's election, it will also add another $35 million to a state budget that is already pushing...
- Proposed Sales Tax Would Back Bonds to Close Calif. Shortfall. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;5/15/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31636, p1
In his revised budget plan announced on may 14, 2003, California governor Gray Davis urged for a half-cent sales tax to support bonds to close 10.7 billion dollar of the 38 billion dollar budget shortfall through fiscal 2004. The half-cent tax would raise about 2.3 billion dollar each year to...
- TOTAL RECALL. Greenblatt, Alan // Governing;Sep2003, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p25
Discusses the possible implication of California's attempt to recall Governor Gray Davis, who have been blamed for budget deficits, for U.S. states. Budget deficit posted by the state; Number of states that allow recalls of state and local officials; Hurdles for placing a recall of a statewide...
- California Lawmakers Cut Providers' Rates. Raflo, Brook // HomeCare Magazine;Sep2003, Vol. 26 Issue 9, p14
Reports on the approval of a budget by the California Assembly and Governor Gray Davis which would cut Medi-Cal providers' rates starting January 1, 2004. Percentage of cut in the providers' rates; Details on the budget.