Philip Morris Wants Expedited Hearing on $10.1B Verdict
- Store Wars. Dipasquale, Cara B.; Teinowitz, Ira // Advertising Age;1/14/2002, Vol. 73 Issue 2, p4
The article deals with the competition among cigarette companies in the U.S. over efforts to secure a foothold in the convenience store segment in 2002. According to a Prudential Securities report citing Federal Trade Commission figures, a stunning $6.6 billion was spent by tobacco companies on...
- Florida High Court to Weigh Tobacco Appeal. Albanese, Elisabeth // Bond Buyer;7/21/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31930, p28
Reports on Philip Morris USA Inc.'s filing of a brief with the Florida Supreme Court asking that justices affirm a 2003 appellate court decision overturning a judgment in a lawsuit accusing tobacco companies of lying to smokers about health risks associated with tobacco. Overview of the case;...
- APPLIED WELLNESS. // Electronic Ardell Wellness Report (E-AWR);06/15/2001, p3
Discusses a case against Philip Morris Cos. Inc. Outcome of the trial; Details of the case.
- TOBACCO LITIGATION--HEALTH AND WELFARE FUNDS. // Benefits Quarterly;2000 Fourth Quarter, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p98
Reports on the case filed by Steamfitters Local Union against Phillip Morris Inc. which sought to make the company liable for the smoke-related cost incurred by union health and welfare funds. Reason for the dismissal of the complaint; Fraud and conspiracy charges against the company; Decision...
- Antitobacco activists bemoan the return of sealed company records subpoenaed in libel case. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;8/24/95, Vol. 87 Issue 189, p13
Focuses on the out of court settlement of a law suit between Philip Morris and ABC and the documents that would have proved tobacco company's manipulation of the levels of nicotine in cigarettes. Virginia State Circuit Court Judge Theodore Markow's order to return the sealed documents to Philip...
- Tobacco troubles. // Crain's New York Business;03/22/99, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p26
Reports on the growing number of tobacco-related lawsuits against the United States tobacco company Philip Morris Cos. Inc.
- Altira/Phillip Morris: Blowing Up in Smoke? // High Yield Report;4/14/2003, Vol. 14 Issue 15, p1
Reports that Philip Morris USA, a subsidiary of Altria Group Inc., has been on the brink of bankruptcy. Need to post a $12 billion bond for the right to appeal a $10.1 billion damage verdict handed down an Illinois judge; Reaction of the market to Altria bonds.
- Illinois High Court Hears Oral Arguments in Tobacco Lawsuit. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;11/12/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32009, p40
Reports on the oral arguments presented in the Illinois Supreme Court in a lawsuit filed against Philip Morris USA Inc. by cigarette smokers in the state who claimed that misleading advertising made them believe that light cigarettes were a healthier option than full-flavored ones. Lower court...
- This case smells. // Hollywood Reporter;5/4/95, Vol. 337 Issue 6, p3
Reports on Philip Morris Cos. Inc.'s turnover of 25 boxes of papers to ABC in the former's libel lawsuit against the network. Appearance and chemical odor of papers; Sanction against Philip Morris for the condition of the documents.