Cash Crunch in California
- Colorado schools disappointed by Assembly's allotment. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;05/12/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30639, p30
Focuses on the insufficiency of the additional state funding for school districts in Colorado granted during the 1999 General Assembly. Value of funding needed to fill the backlog of unmet capital needs of rural schools.
- With February Revenues $18.5M Short, Kansas Delays State Aid to Schools. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;3/4/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31585, p4
Reports on delay in state aid payments to local school districts in Kansas for fiscal 2003. Attribution of delay in the state aid to schools to revenue generated in the country; Impact of the delayed state aid on the school districts.
- Illinois aid hike not seen easing Chicago deficit. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;8/4/93, Vol. 12 Issue 40, p34
Reports on the massive deficit facing the Chicago school district despite an additional $84 million for Chicago schools approved the Illinois legislature. Inadequate state aid to education; Other education provisions in the budget law.
- Ore. Voters Bail Out Schools, Lawmakers--at Least for Now. Borja, Rhea R. // Education Week;9/25/2002, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p19
Reports that the voters of Oregon have approved of a state ballot measure that adds a multi-million dollar education fund to Oregon's school district coffers. Key features of the measure; Mixed feelings among education organizations regarding expectations from the measure.
- N.C. Judge Backs Suit By Districts. Manzo, Kathleen Kennedy // Education Week;11/01/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p21
Reports on the court ruling in the lawsuit brought by low-wealth school districts in North Carolina claiming that the state aid failed to pay for the basic educational needs of their students. Overview of the case; Parts of the ruling.
- Newark school deficit raises questions about state control. Hoffman, David // Bond Buyer;02/14/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30828, p24
Examines the influences of state intervention on Newark School District financial performance in New Jersey. Effect of state oversight over school districts on investors; Benefits derived by the school district from the state qualified bond program; Implications of state oversight on a...
- Pledge Upped For New York Schools Deal. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;6/12/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31406, p1
Reports the marketing of 465 million dollar in refinancing bonds by the New York State Dormitory in New York. Consequence by a decrease in annual building aid payments; Way to increase bondholder security; Mechanism allowing state comptroller to intercept state aid from school district.
- Takeover of financially strapped district in Miss. sought. Sommerfeld, Meg // Education Week;2/28/96, Vol. 15 Issue 23, p15
Reports on a proposed Mississippi legislation that will allow the state to take over a financially troubled school district before it runs out of money. Failure of a bid to immediately appoint a conservator and bail the North Panola district out with a no-interest loan; Arguments for and...
- S.C. measure ties state funding to school achievement. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;2/28/96, Vol. 15 Issue 23, p15
Reports on a proposed law in South Carolina that will see school districts refusing to remove principals from poorly performing schools lose part of their state education funding. Effort launched by state schools superintendent Barbara Nielsen to hold each school accountable for its students'...