Observers: Arbitrage Rebate Relief Not Likely This Year From Congress
- Cost of Senate Bill Muni Provisions Rise. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;5/24/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31890, p4
Focuses on the municipal bond provisions in the U.S. Senate's corporate tax bill. Estimated cost of the provisions; Measures proposed to spur the issuance of industrial development bonds; Proposed repeal of the ten-year rule for single-family revenue bonds.
- Whither de minimis? House, Senate meet to discuss tax bill. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/14/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30186, p1
Reports on the meeting held between House and Senate negotiators to discuss the resolution of differences between the two chambers' versions of tax-reduction legislation that would stop most corporations from buying municipal bonds. Terms the legislation endorsed by the House and the Clinton...
- Congress abandons proposal to repeal de minimis rule. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/28/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30196, p1
Reports on the cancellation of a proposal in the US Congress to repeal the de minimis tax rule that encourages corporate buying of municipal bonds. US President Bill Clinton's support for the repeal of the two percent de minimis rule; Opposition of municipal bond market advocates to the...
- Washington voters approve tax limits despite warnings. Figler, Andrea // Bond Buyer;11/4/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30762, p1
Reports that Washington voters approved a proposed measure in November 1999 that would limit the state's tax authority. Provisions of the measure; Impact on the state's ability to issue bonds.
- Senate GOP Delays Vote on Tax Bill Clinton Might Veto. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;10/30/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31006, p4
Highlights the decision United States Senate Republican leaders to postpone a vote on the party's tax cut bill. Municipal bond-related provisions of the tax bill; Aim to buy time for negotiations with the White House; U.S. President Bill Clinton's pledge to veto the bill.
- Observers are unsure if tax bill will address muni issues. Resnick, Amy T. // Bond Buyer;08/27/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30466, p4
Reports on legislators' plans of introducing a tax bill in the United States before adjourning for the fall election. Congressional sources' inability to confirm the inclusion of tax provisions affecting the municipal bond market in the US; Legislators' development of legislation increasing...
- Tax legislation municipal bond box score. // Bond Buyer;08/04/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30201, p39
Presents a chart on municipal bond provisions included in the final tax bill approved by the US House and Senate and in the plan proposed by President Bill Clinton. Includes de minimis rule on corporations' bond indebtedness; Alternative minimum tax; Arbitrage rebate simplification; Cap on...
- House passes private-activity bond cap increase, but vote is not veto-proof. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;09/29/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30488, p6
Reports on the United States House of Representatives' passage of tax-cut legislation that would increase the private-activity bond cap and extend the arbitrage spend-down provision for school construction bonds. Increase in the states' private-activity bond limit; Sources of financing for the...
- Munis Face Uphill Battle in Congress. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;12/29/2010, Vol. 374 Issue 33441, p1
The article reports on the efforts of municipal market groups to restore the Build America Bond (BAB) program and other bond-related tax incentives in the U.S. Congress. It states that the group is trying to prevent legislators from considering new restrictions for muni bonds and push them to...