Colorado Governor OKs Prison, Hospital COPs; Water Plan Coming
- Still time to free local government. // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/23/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 7, p12
The article calls on Indiana legislators to allow Mayor Bart Peterson, the City-County Council and municipal governments to raise the revenue they need to run their departments. The author states that giving local government fiscal flexibility is logical. In the event that local officials abuse...
- Letters to the Editor. Daines, Richard F.; Newton, Phil; Tolkan, Parmelee; Scranton, Dave // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;3/30/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 76, p4
Several letters to the editor are presented regarding the sugar-sweetened beverage tax, the vote of Representative Bill Owen in favor of health care reform, and the Local Government Days conference.
- Foreign Investors Held $32B at End of Second Quarter. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;9/22/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32472, p7
The article discusses the report released by U.S. Federal Reserve, which states that foreign investors held $32 billion of the municipal securities at the end of the second quarter of 2006. The report, which includes foreign holdings of municipal debt, has revealed an expanding investor class...
- Voters Back Billions of Bonds. Kittower, Diane // Governing;Jan2001, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p54
Reports on the support of voters to the bonds proposed by states and localities in the U.S. Value of the bonds; Aim of the bond debt.
- More Disclosure on Debt, Pensions Sought in Illinois. Shields, Yvette // Investment Management Mandate Pipeline;2/20/2013, p3
The article reports that Republican members of the Illinois State House of Representatives have proposed tougher disclosure requirements on local governments' debt and retiree costs as of February 20, 2013.
- Owens going to 'War on Debt'. Brown, Nathan // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;4/29/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 101, p1
The article reports on the move of Representative Bill Owens to introduce "War on Debt" act allowing the people to buy 10,000 dollars 30-year bond that would be used to pay national debt in New York.
- Proposal would have Congressional proceedings shown online. Brown, Nathan // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;3/15/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 63, p2
The article offers information on U.S. Representative Bill Owens' proposed resolution to make all federal legislative proceedings and committee hearings available online, which will be debated in the House soon.
- Owens says underline bill amendments for clarity. Brown, Nathan // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;6/24/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 148, p8
The article reports on the introduction of the Legislative Transparency Act of 2010 by Representative Bill Owens to make it easier for the public to understand processes of lawmaking in the U.S. in 2010.
- AN HISTORICAL ANALYSIS OF THE USE OF DEBT-RELATED DERIVATIVES BY STATE GOVERNMENTS IN THE CONTEXT OF THE GREAT RECESSION. Luby, Martin J.; Kravchuk, Robert S. // Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting & Financial Management;Summer2013, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p276
Debt-related financial derivative usage by state and local governments became a very salient topic over the last few years in light of the Great Recession and its impacts on the efficacy of these financial instruments. However, there has been a dearth of systematic research on the types and...